New Member. Seagull Silver Century

Please post comments, suggestions and articles for inclusion in The Guide here... they will be reviewed by the team and used to build up The Guide itself

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Geraldvirieux
New Member. Seagull Silver Century

Post by Geraldvirieux »

New Member. Proud owner Sliver Century. Some Photos.
Attachments
Bottom view main Gear
Bottom view main Gear
Main Gear Put into bag some oil safe keeping
Main Gear Put into bag some oil safe keeping
Main Gear Close up view some wear on gear teeth
Main Gear Close up view some wear on gear teeth
Seagull Engine Number
Seagull Engine Number
Gear box Nearly  a tale of woe first bolt far right ok to remove Bottom bolt not to bad .top left two days to remove .
Gear box Nearly a tale of woe first bolt far right ok to remove Bottom bolt not to bad .top left two days to remove .
John@sos

Re: New Member. Seagull Silver Century

Post by John@sos »

Welcome to the forum!

Though you may think your gearbox worn, when I look at those teeth I think they are like new! Certainly I have seen far worse still working!

The fact that there was all that oily sludge means someone has put oil in it! good! Use EP140 and half fill only! When motor upright to bottom lip of filler hole! Check oil every 10 hours use and replenish when you see droplets of water in the coffee coloured sludge inside!

Check the bevel gear to see if it moves sideways, that is always a sign of a worn bevel bearing.. these are replaceable, once you have managed to get the bevel gear out the top of the box, about £6.50 last I sold one.

I have new s/s Allen screws foir the cap and s/s bolts and Allen screws for the other fastenings, all on the shelf here.

go to the Spares for sale page of the main site and make a wish list, mail it to me.

Good luck with the Seagull,

Regards,
john
SOS