Newbie from Suffolk

Please post comments, suggestions and articles for inclusion in The Guide here... they will be reviewed by the team and used to build up The Guide itself

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

rdy416
Newbie from Suffolk

Post by rdy416 »

Hey all my name is Ross.

Couple of years ago I got my father inlaws old silver century plus running and we currently use it on our boat a 17ft Yorkshire coble.

I'm now currently in the process of restoring a little forty which he acquired years ago but he's neibour looked at it and couldn't get it running now it's my turn. I was told it had no spark so starting with the basics cleaned up the points and got the rust off the flywheel and magneto and have a spark at the points.

I have also removed the old condenser as it has had it so Ive ordered a new villiers one plus going to change the plug ht lead and replacing the busted throttle cable.

Once I've got the engine running I can then start stripping the outboard down and cleaning years of grime and painting and polishing the appropriate parts. Pictures to follow
AusOB_Collector

Re: Newbie from Suffolk

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Hello and welcome to the Forum! We're a friendly bunch here and we don't bite!! :lol:

I'm sure that our Little 40 expert will get in touch with you shortly to collect some data from your motor.

Looking forward to those pics, what serial number is your motor?

All the best
Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
rdy416

Post by rdy416 »

AusOB_Collector wrote:Hello and welcome to the Forum! We're a friendly bunch here and we don't bite!! :lol:

I'm sure that our Little 40 expert will get in touch with you shortly to collect some data from your motor.

Looking forward to those pics, what serial number is your motor?

All the best
Cheers
BP

Hi thanks for the welcome

Looking forward to getting more done on this little forty also got a option to buy a forty plus but I'm kinda in two minds. He told me he wants £40 for it but I've gotta arrange a courier for it he says it runs but doesn't have a spark plug or ht lead. The pull rope is missing as well and also the tiller is missing as well which wasn't mentioned I noticed it in the pictures.

The little forty I'm currently rebuilding's serial no is (LS24067)

Ross
AusOB_Collector

Hi Ross

The parts that are missing from the 40+ are relatively easy to get.
I am the person on this forum who collects data from the SJP model 40+ motors.

Do you have the pics and serial number of the motor in question?

Cheers
BP

Member SOS, AOMCI,
rdy416

Post by rdy416 »

AusOB_Collector wrote:Hi Ross

The parts that are missing from the 40+ are relatively easy to get.
I am the person on this forum who collects data from the SJP model 40+ motors.

Do you have the pics and serial number of the motor in question?

Cheers
BP

Oh right that's handy to know I'm really not sure what they are worth but I need to find out what the shipping will cost and how much the parts will cost me to buy to fix it to know if it's worth my while in buying it. In honesty it looks to be in good order I've seen worse but worries me that's it's sat with no plug in it. I can give you the number but il have to upload the pictures to photobucket so I can put them on here.

The serial number is (SJP 7449)
AusOB_Collector

Oh right that's handy to know I'm really not sure what they are worth but I need to find out what the shipping will cost and how much the parts will cost me to buy to fix it to know if it's worth my while in buying it. In honesty it looks to be in good order I've seen worse but worries me that's it's sat with no plug in it. I can give you the number but il have to upload the pictures to photobucket so I can put them on here.

:lol: I had a good chuckle at that! I only yesterday logged the data for that motor when I came across it on the British Seagull Facebook page; from memory it is in Stockton-on-Tees?...

40 GBP right now is just nigh of $80 Aussie dollars, and I would probably pay that as it is a low-ish serial no... and it would fit in nicely with my SJP data collection.
In Aus, the lowest SJP number so far is 2497.
Maybe try for 30 GBP? :mrgreen:

Cheers
BP
Attachments
SJp7449.PNG
Last edited by AusOB_Collector on Tue May 10, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Member SOS, AOMCI,
AusOB_Collector

Double post removed.

Cheers
BP

Member SOS, AOMCI,
rdy416

Post by rdy416 »

AusOB_Collector wrote:

:lol: I had a good chuckle at that! I only yesterday logged the data for that motor when I came across it on the British Seagull Facebook page; from memory it is in Stockton-on-Tees?...

40 GBP right now is just nigh of $80 Aussie dollars, and I would probably pay that as it is a low-ish serial no... and it would fit in nicely with my SJP data collection.
In Aus, the lowest SJP number so far is 2497.
Maybe try for 30 GBP? :mrgreen:

Cheers
BP

I did wonder if anyone here saw it the bloke messaged me via Facebook messenger as soon as I subscribed to that page. If I was to buy it I'd only tidy it up make sure it runs and move it on as long as I could sell it to cover my costs of buying it shipping it to me and what ever parts it would need to put it right. I don't really need another engine but I do like working on cars etc and enjoy getting things that don't work and getting them running again if that makes any sort of sense.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I, ran, out, of, breath, reading, that. :lol:
AusOB_Collector

If I was to buy it I'd only tidy it up make sure it runs and move it on as long as I could sell it to cover my costs of buying it shipping it to me and what ever parts it would need to put it right. I don't really need another engine but I do like working on cars etc and enjoy getting things that don't work and getting them running again if that makes any sort of sense.
Something we have in common, except I can never sell anything... :oops:

All the best of luck with it

Cheers
BP

Member SOS, AOMCI,
rdy416

Post by rdy416 »

Keith.P wrote:I, ran, out, of, breath, reading, that. :lol:

:lol:
rdy416

Post by rdy416 »

AusOB_Collector wrote:
If I was to buy it I'd only tidy it up make sure it runs and move it on as long as I could sell it to cover my costs of buying it shipping it to me and what ever parts it would need to put it right. I don't really need another engine but I do like working on cars etc and enjoy getting things that don't work and getting them running again if that makes any sort of sense.
Something we have in common, except I can never sell anything... :oops:

All the best of luck with it

Cheers
BP

Lol yeh I know what you mean trouble is I'm running out of space :shock:
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

One becomes cunning in integrating them into ones household accoutrements:

There are two dismantled Seagulls in boxes under the Moroccan saddlebag. I would imagine if you have a missus you would be even more cunning :shock:
Hiding Seagulls.JPG
rdy416

Post by rdy416 »

Any way little bit of a update and a couple of pictures :D

So I had a couple of parts delivered this morning a new throttle cable which I may have cut down because it seems to be too long :shock: and new ht lead.

Also on order I have a new condenser

[img][IMG]http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab14/rdy416/6A5ADB6A-B906-409D-80FE-7A4E4B5C3671_zpsrkivwjzc.png[/img][/img]

And a new spark plug.

Whilst the flywheel was off I thought I'd take the opportunity to do this

[img][IMG]http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab14/rdy416/904F2FFA-3E81-41B0-AE2D-DBB439B34519_zpsyjytrj6b.jpg[/img][/img]

It's still a work in progress but it looks far better than the coroded mess I took off.

If anyone who didn't my post on the Facebook page about the little black box that turned out to be a condenser here's what the inside looked like when I finally got the flywheel off.

[img][IMG]http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab14/rdy416/6056F3BF-3DA4-4EBD-99CB-BA3F2F19E475_zpsqku0tuah.jpg[/img][/img]

The condenser had been slightly bodged on so I cut it out and removed it to replace it with a original one which will be placed under the points as original.

And the last pic is of the serial number :D

[img][IMG]http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab14/rdy416/90FD73FC-6426-4ED2-993C-36F5212FD170_zpspxq5ojsu.jpg[/img][/img]

Ross
rdy416

Post by rdy416 »

Hugz wrote:One becomes cunning in integrating them into ones household accoutrements:

There are two dismantled Seagulls in boxes under the Moroccan saddlebag. I would imagine if you have a missus you would be even more cunning :shock:
Hiding Seagulls.JPG

Love it :D i have a old car that I've been modifying for the last 6 years I usually get parcels sent to my parents so my wife doesn't know what I've been buying :lol: