Spam Attack

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

John@sos

Spam Attack

Post by John@sos »

Sorry folks but we have had to close the forum to new registrations till we can get the Spam probblem fixed. Seems a Spammer or group of them are trying to invade the membership and cover the pages in all sorts of adverts.

They purport to come from Russia..? but are using proxy IP addresses so could come from anywhere.

We are not alone having this problem and PHP and servers are now working together to come up with better ways to stop this mindless sort of interference, sorry for inconvienience.
John
SOS
Rex NZ

Re: Spam Attack

Post by Rex NZ »

Hi John

Suggestion that might help

Instead of stopping registrations, maybe try this

On your PHP BB admin control panel (probably under global settings somewhere) there should be an option to have new registrations subject to staff approval, as opposed to, automatic acceptance

Obviously we can't stop spammers, but, this'll foil them until they dream up some new scheme

Rex NZ
John@sos

Re: Spam Attack

Post by John@sos »

Hi Rex ,

yes did that over the weekend as the first line of defence, sadly after that, at one stage the new registrations were coming into my mail box at the rate of one every 2 minutes. Of course that would have eventually filled my mailbox and stopped customers from getting to me, so I switched it to 'no more registrations', till we can fix it. clever people are working on it, not least to trace the proxy IP's, now that is clever.
We will overcome!

Regards,

john
SOS