WEEDLESS

Post your wanted adds here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

woodbutchergraham

WEEDLESS

Post by woodbutchergraham »

Do weeedess props work, i have just aquired one from the Bay for my 1957,40+ for £5.55 was this agood deal or what?. Ive had 3/16" machined out of the back to allow for the locking coller. As its going to be some months befor i can try it i just wanted to Know others experiances .
wrong section I know posibly more interest form this one.
Life is what you make it, and what you make could change your life.
Robin Anderson

Post by Robin Anderson »

Hi.
With apoligies for the delay in responding to this request - I bought a weedless prop for my Forty Featherweight many years ago and have found it to be far superior to the original Hydrofan type prop. The old prop used to collect every bit of weed in the sea and I was regularly having to stop to clean it. The weedless prop does what it says - and I was not able to discern any difference in the thrust.
Happy seagulling.
Robin
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
JoeShields

Re: WEEDLESS

Post by JoeShields »

I agree with Robin, the weedless prop does keep itself clear of weeds. My only problem is it seems to be made of a very light aluminum and seems to be corroding quickly. Anybody know what is the best paint/treatment for these things? I've tried a couple primers, etc. but they don't seem to last long.
livewire

Re: WEEDLESS

Post by livewire »

Joe,

If it's an alu alloy then are you able to get it to a plating shop that does anodising?

If so get it anodised, then i would coat it in etching primer and then give it at least a couple of top coats.

Then just look after it, and if any paint chips off, locally prime and top coat paint it.

Andy
JoeShields

Re: WEEDLESS prop

Post by JoeShields »

Not sure what kind of alum, I bought the weedless prop from the British Seagull shop in Poole, a few years ago. My Seagull is in my garage for the winter, so I give it a thorough cleaning/polishing. The prop is off now and clean and shiny again, but it is badly pitted. I'm looking into the self-etching primer treatment. I'll try and take a picture and post it.