June 1963 seagull outboard wanted SJM SJP? F3?

Post your wanted adds here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Mendologist

June 1963 seagull outboard wanted SJM SJP? F3?

Post by Mendologist »

Hi everyone,
I am looking for a Seagull outboard from the year of my birth (1963) and hopefully possibly but doubtfully also the month of my birth (June)!!!
Would like a short shaft SJP or SJM? to be able to use at some time on an inflatable. Preferably complete and not too corroded.
I think the date code would be F3?

Originally wanted something British like a Bantam, but the ever increasing cost is now unwarrantable for my needs, as well as gears and brakes on the wrong sides for me!! So have decided to scale down to something more realistic.

Just missed out on a 1950's featherweight as a stater project, was looking forward to doing it too.

I enjoy refurbishing things such as classic camp stoves, (Paraffin and petrol Swedish mainly, but I have a British one too).
My last reasonably sized project was my 1980's MZ TS125 which is a large number of smiles per mile thing.

Apologies to all who have seen my Facebook posts on the Seagull pages but it's all a numbers game, the more that see the better the chance I have to find a memento/souvenir of my birth year etc.

Fingers crossed and many thanks.
Good Better Best, Never Let It Rest, Until Your Good Is Better And Your Better Is BEST!!
Oyster 49

Re: June 1963 seagull outboard wanted SJM SJP? F3?

Post by Oyster 49 »

Welcome, I’m sure you will be able to find a suitable engine, plenty about, keep looking.

Be careful about the seagul group on Facebook, I came out of it, as there was a huge amount of completely wr9ng info being quoted by people who did not know what they were talking about. The info here is a lot more reliable. :P
Mendologist

Post by Mendologist »

Thanks for that.
I've found a 1962 forty plus, collecting tomorrow evening hopefully.
Serial numbers aren't making sense to me though. it's SJP36321? No F etc.
Engine identifier puts it as a 1961/1962 model.
Still looking for a june 1963 though.
It's hopefully a good start into Seagull ownership/restoration.
Villiers ignition, apparently it's a good upgrade to change to the later Wipac set up?
Good Better Best, Never Let It Rest, Until Your Good Is Better And Your Better Is BEST!!
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Good luck with your project, hope you find your Birth Gull.
Villiers ignition, apparently it's a good upgrade to change to the later Wipac set up?
The only thing wrong with the Villiers mag is the coil which deteriorates with age. A New coil made with better resins will solve that problem. Though I have a 1957 Century with the Villiers flywheel still going strong on the original coil.

Dave.
Mendologist

Post by Mendologist »

Thanks for that. I found some motorbike coils on the Web in the UK. Looks like they may be a relatively simple fit. Short or long shown in advert.
I have collected the 1961/62 SJP 40 plus tonight, can't wait to make a start.
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

If you have a spark run it with what you have, if you suspect the coil run some tests with a good metre, a coil in good condition will read 0.5 ohm on the primary windings and 3.5 kilo ohms on the secondary. It’s the fine windings on the secondary that usually fails.
Measure the length of your coil, the ones on e-bay are shorter than the one in my mag.
It would have been possible to use the long version (it is half an inch short) locating one end and having the other end just in the keeper but not secured. It will run like that but I decided it could lead to problems in the long run. So took the option of buying the correct coil from George.

Hope you find your 40 plus is a runner, Dave.
Mendologist

Post by Mendologist »

Started to dismantle and clean the carb and flywheel assembly today.
Flywheel came off easy, no sign of corrosion/misuse in the ignition area. Everything in there appears to be visually good.
Looks like it may be a cleanly used /looked after engine.
Fingers crossed all it may need are a few fibre washers for carb, a good clean/service and a repaint!!
Mendologist

Post by Mendologist »

Stripped magneto backplate from motor unit, bit of rubbing down and ali cleaning.
Gloss black next on cylinder.
Not managed to seperate drive tube from gearbox though.
Looks good so far, don't think its ever seen saltwater.

Still looking for a June 1963 model, I guess I can look at this one as from my conception year rather than birth year ;-)
duckhuntboat

Post by duckhuntboat »

I'm looking at an "SJP50894", But I'm in the States.
The guy is asking too much for a non running unit. I told him I would get it running for him as I repair small engines, but he doesn't want to pay what I'm asking. He picked it up at an estate sale and want's to turn a quick profit.