SD 102

Place your for sale information here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Charles uk

Re: SD 102

Post by Charles uk »

But wouldn't we expect everything after this point to be the same, Jacob have a trawl of Seagull's patent office records between 1940 & 1950.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Oyster 49 wrote: What I’m still looking for is that elusive photo of an SD in use!
Some will appear have no fear.....

Interestingly I went to a lecture on early ferries on Sydney harbour. The historian had a collection of over 20,000 digitalised photos. Most of them from private snaps.

Did they have war correspondents during WW11? I'm guessing the majority of photos haven't made it to the net yet. There must be private collections of photos and even societies that study/collect these photos.
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Adrian, my guess it that they stopped using brass as aluminium was cheaper to use during the war.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Has anyone been to the Royal Engineers museum yet?

http://www.re-museum.co.uk/

Could well be worth a visit to go through their archives. Maybe I could pop over during your summer if it hasn't already been mined for SD info.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Back again!
Hugs
I think you know where I am with data regarding wartime stuff. It's on my computer somewhere, I just need to find it that's all. When I do finally find it you will have it.

Some of this has gotten way out of hand in recent months. Some pretty unfair comments too.
To anyone that is still interested I spent nearly 6 weeks in correspondence with a lady at the imperial war museum trying to find any tiny bit of information that might be of value. Unfortunately this turned out to be a waste of my time.
I do what I can with what little there is to go on. Apart from the motors that have been recorded so far, what we have is what there is. As for looking at motors in boxes,this isn't always possible for some of us due to work commitments, and this is why I passed the reigns over to Hugo to see if he could fair any better.
As far as I can see I don't think I have let anybody down. That was mighty unfair I have to say.

It's only now a year or two after some things have been said that some of you are questioning certain things. I have always said to look at the motors that survive and make up your own mind about what's right or wrong. Sooner or later things will fall into place ans it will look a lot clearer.

No wonder some older members have left this forum in previous years. Talk about bitchyness.
If this is the way things are going to be from now on then I want nothing more to do with it.
I shall just do my own thing.

A very pissed off jon
lodgey62

Post by lodgey62 »

Just to add my two peneth worth.
I'm very new to this site,owned a few Seagulls for about 2yrs and l love em,now the information and knowledge that I've been able to acquire from SOS over the last 2months of membership has been immense.So look upon this as a Ying/ Yang moment Jon,one chap has pissed you off but you,the site and probably 99.9999999%of it's members do a brilliant job of making other members happy.
Regards
Lodgey.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

I seem to recall that the patent application for that intake was 1945.

I drew a blank at the Royal Engineers Museum. It was quite a few years ago! A while ago someone else was asking them and got referred back to me.

I drew a blank at the IWM, too.

I think we suffer from being interested in a pretty mundane bit of kit. Stuff relating to "Spitfire" or "Lancaster" or "Enigma" or "Montgomery" gets pride of place and they're keen to build a collection round it. Stuff like outboard motors is probably pigeonholed with wastepaper baskets and War Ministry toilet seats.

I too would very much like to see photographs of an SD in use.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Lodgey

The trouble is a lot of this has been going on for years not months. Some people know how to push the right buttons. No names mentioned, must mind our p's and q's here don't you know!

I've spent an awful long time trawling through a lot of garbage. Most of it is well written about anyway. Just to find a snippet of new information brings us ever closer to that all important golden nugget that for now is quite elusive.

To say i've been pissed off in the past with what's been said is an understatement, but i do what i can with what little resources i can lay my hands on.
Thick skin helps (and selective hearing)

At least i know who some of my friends are on this forum.
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

The way i see it is that this is a forum where us seagullers come together to discuss our hobbies not to argue. We are here to help others, gain info and to contribute where we can.
Yes, sometimes arguments are necessary to find the right and the wrong but sometimes get out of hand.

Probably sounds strange coming from the youngest on the forum but oh well.

Now lets re read the title of this thread and get back on topic.

Jacob
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

The Royal Engineers Museum does have this: http://81.145.194.74/Details/collect/35253

Though with the sailor man logo it is probably a later one unless it has a later tank. The height at 1320mm is a bit extreme unless it is in a crate or includes a stand. Two bladed prop piqued my interest. Shame there is no picture. Did the engineers use later seagulls? Worth following it up. I've sent them an information request. Anyone live close by in Kent?

Do we have a date for the patent of the cowl? Be interesting to see if it was after 2nd of September 1945.

There was a chap in bermuda a decade or two ago that was looking for a brass cowl. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Poor Jon!

Cheers, Hugo.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Was that something to do with a seagull that had been made up with all brass parts, or something like that.
I saw some paperwork that makes me think the cowl could be very close to post war, but don't quote me on that just yet.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6owwo_m4QNo

Ooops, I was wrong! The chap was after a brass float bowl. About 1.20min in. We have learnt a lot in ten years. That one has a later model float bowl. Anyone know who the chap is?

I was thinking with SD's that the clutch lever was plain and then had Patent on them at about the 6000 mark. So it's possible the cowl was used before it was patented?? Probably used on only late ones me thinks.
NaughtyBits

Post by NaughtyBits »

"Anyone know who the chap is?"

Hugz,

Yes, a few of us across the pond do. I don't know that he checks in too often on this forum. I can pass on a message if you like?
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Sure, thanks. Maybe you could ask him if he would like to furnish detail of his SD for the register. Looks like an early one with cast tank mounts. Down the track I'll like to get details of the SD's over there. I think there is quite a few. Maybe I need to take a trip!

He can email me on britishseagullsd@gmail.com if he wishes also anyone else that has a SD. Info most appreciated.
NaughtyBits

Post by NaughtyBits »

Hugz,

I'm actually on it. There's about 6 or 7 at least between a few of us that I know of. Will be sending you what we have soon.

And we'd definitely recommend a trip down - June, maybe? 8)