weedless?

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

woodbutchergraham

weedless?

Post by woodbutchergraham »

Do weeedess props work, i have just aquired one from the Bay for my 1957,40+ for £5.55 was this agood deal or what?. Ive had 3/16" machined out of the back to allow for the locking coller. As its going to be some months befor i can try it i just wanted to Know others experiances .
Life is what you make it, and what you make could change your life.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Graham this is a how long is a piece of string question.

If I remember right Seagull only made a weed free prop for the 40+ with the 2.5:1 ratio gearbox with the clutch.

If you don't have a clutch then you have a 3.5:1 gearbox so your motor will possibly over rev or at least rev higher, on your boat, as the prop will have insufficient pitch.

But to answer this question properly, the engine number & type of hull are quite important.
woodbutchergraham

Thanks Charles
this what ive been waiting for, its SJP 5528. It is a 40+ and i worked the age to be aprox 1957-58 and as it is only pushing a 14 foot canoe, and hardly ever use full throtle. Do you think i should try it or not take the risk. It hasnt a clutch and still runs on 10:1 mix . Gives me a great sence of pride as when i first aquired it it ran poorly & wouldnt pump water. it now runs well and sports a highly polished tank, sad i know.
timberman2004

Post by timberman2004 »

Hi Graham
weedless props ..hmmm theres a question
bit of a misnomer IMHO

If you have the leading edge razor honed it MAY cut through the crud
BUT .....
the cooling water intake is in front of the prop, (as mounted on the boat) and these little slots getting blocked can be a far bigger issue that a bit of old weed around the prop

you need to ensure that in operation, even in what seems like a weed-free environment, that the cooling water still flows nicely out of the exit hole, and that your pride and joy is not blowing steam out of this hole, getting over heated

speaking from personal experience never been bothered about weed round the prop ....but on several occasions have instantly shut down to clear the intake slots
Neal...errrr... an ON, OP, 2xSD, F, 3xSJP, LLS, 2xFV, FVP, FPC, CPC WPCL, WSC, and a few eggs hatching, hopefully
woodbutchergraham

Ive sorted the problem with the water inlet, I made up some wire deflecters. As recomended on another tread these allow sufficant water to enter the pump housing providing the weeds not too thick . The idea of sharpening the leading edge had crossed my mind, but in the interests of safety didnt try it. Thanks for the support, just waiting to see if Charles thinks my mid life seagull can handle the change in prop.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

All I can say is try it & see!

As I said before, if you have any way to measure the revs whilst under load, you will find that you probably gain several hundred RPM.

I have seen & used many racing Seagulls & there is no doubt that century powerheads, that have been blueprinted & on the right hull, will run at almost 6000 RPM, for many hours with no problem.

But a 40 year old 40+ with a power train of indeterminate condition, in terms of bearings & cooling, will probably have it's life expectancy much reduced!

If you sharpen the prop's leading edge, you will ease it's passage through the water increasing the revs once again.

If you really want go boating in weed infested water, buy yourself an Atco Boat Impeller, a motor as attractive as a Seagull, with the ability to self clear weed entanglement by lifting the prop out of the water.
woodbutchergraham

Thanks Charles i heed your warning and may run this as an experiment, but not at the expense of destroying my Seagull.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Seagulls are like buses.

You start with 1, next time you look, there are more than you can count on 1 hand.

If you break yours there are plenty more around, I will wager that if your ask 20 people of a similar social standing to yourself, you will discove 1 has one, & 2 more used to have 1 or more.

The broken 1 will give you heaps of spares.

Put a sign up in your local shop saying "old seagull wanted" but only for a month or you will have to buy a new shed.
woodbutchergraham

Thanks Charles
You would think that in Grimsby, once the largest fishing port in the world. Seagull owners wouldnt be so rare. Ill give your card technique a shot. I do take pride in the fact this British motor born around the same time as rock and roll has the power and reliably move myself and family for a day or so. :D
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Rock & Roll in the early 1930's

Well it was before my time, perhaps your right.

Keith Richard looks like he could have been playing then!
woodbutchergraham

I was refering to my 1957 seagull, that was acording to the great book of british singles (oldstyle record things like CDs but black ).
It rcons that the late 50s .