Villiers carb

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Skeg

Villiers carb

Post by Skeg »

Hi,

I am a virgin seagull owner and like most relationships it started well and then went rapidly down hill. I have spent most of today pulling on the starter cord and rowing the last 50 yds to my boat on the blackwater in a force 5!! Fuel and a lack of throttle movement is the problem and after doing all the usual things I unscrewed the top of the carb to find the brass jet rolling around on top of the slide.I screwed it back in untill it flush with the top of the slide and it started again, soon though I had running problem and the screw had come loose again. Where is it meant to be and how do you stop it from vibrating out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Vic

Re: Villiers carb

Post by Vic »

I unscrewed the top of the carb to find the brass jet rolling around on top of the slide.
I take it you mean the needle adjusting screw #7 in the diagram HERE

It should be screwed in until flush but then may need screwing down a little further to get best running. IIRC the max is 2½tuns down. one of mine is actually a little more than that. All the info is on the website.

Cannot say mine are tight but certainly tight enough not to vibrate out, or even out of adjustment. Perhaps the thread is worn in the piston.

Get it adjusted, note its position, take apart, degrease it all and then replace with a dab of Loctite ????
Todd

Post by Todd »

I'm not sure how well Loctite tolerates being continuously soaked in gasoline/petrol. You could gently and carefully burr a couple threads on the screw to create a bit of friction with the slide threads.
It seems I recall one of my jet screws had a nylon insert to provide a fast fit. Maybe SOS John has these in stock.

Todd
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

'Day Skeg

Interesting Seagulling you have had Aye.

Maybe read through the posts, FAQs on SOS and peruse the new Idiots Guide in progress.

We are all here to help but use the site Mate!

You, as Gull Custodian, have to do some hard yards that others have done.

Repetition of advice posted just means a lack of research of info already offered. You must get an interest and do some self help from here.

American are you?

Figures that.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Skeg

Post by Skeg »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply's fella's.

I am now off to the shed to give it another try. I will let you know how it goes...... or not as the case may be

Regards

Skeg - British to the core
Vic

Post by Vic »

Todd wrote:I'm not sure how well Loctite tolerates being continuously soaked in gasoline/petrol. You could gently and carefully burr a couple threads on the screw to create a bit of friction with the slide threads.
It seems I recall one of my jet screws had a nylon insert to provide a fast fit. Maybe SOS John has these in stock.

Todd
Loctite is of course a brand name carried by many, many products. I should have said a Loctite thread-locker, but there are still quite a few to choose from.

Halfords sell Loctite 248 which is a medium strength thread-locker in stick form ( like a Pritt Stick) The technical data sheet, which you can find on the Loctite website, indicates that the bond strength increases during 1000hours exposure to gasoline to 113% of the initial strength!

The details of any other similar product which happens to be to hand can be checked on the website.

I did not suggest burring the threads on the screw because unless done carefully that might lead to further damage to the thread in the piston. A thread-locker should do no damage. If it does not work then some more drastic remedy remains an option.
rasky388

Re: Villiers carb problems

Post by rasky388 »

Hi guys:
HELP!!!!!! Villers carb on 40+, FP221NN1. Hard to start, but will run on full choke, at above 1/2 throttle. At full throttle it will run with choke off. The needle valve,for the float, is also a problem.. Compression, and spark is great. I need help with both issues. I want to return to my 40+ with the Bing carb. It ran perfect.
Cheers: Jack Hillyer
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Try adjusting the screw thats on top of the throttle slide that the needle is in, the screw should be flush with the to of the slide or 1 turn down.

Jacob
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

What fuel mix & which needle are you using?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
rasky388

Post by rasky388 »

It has a #2 needle, which I understand is 25:1, The center screw is flush with the top of the sliding cylinder. Jack
rasky388

Post by rasky388 »

Using fresh fuel, and high quality oil in the 25:1 ratio.