Little 40 FV series

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Oyster 49

Little 40 FV series

Post by Oyster 49 »

Despite the dire warnings about lack of parts and dodgy cylinder studs, I bought this little 40 for £30. Serial FV8222 which makes it 1952/53. Got it home and had a closer look, all seems to be there apart from the thumbscrews so far. What a sweet little engine, I can see why many have a soft spot for these :)

Closer inspection reveals a later cylinder head fitted and a home made adaptor to fit the correct small round tank :shock: Also it looks like a home made head gasket has been fitted. It seems to have the original coiled fuel tube, but not sure about the fuel tap, which has on/off and reserve positions. It does look right at home on this engine though.

First job will be to try and get the old girl running for the summer, and go for a full restoration to original spec in the winter.

Has anybody got FV cylinder head? Go on, let me have it :wink: Can swap with any parts I have, SD parts etc. I have a boxfull now.
Attachments
Later cylinder head with make up plate for tank
Later cylinder head with make up plate for tank
100_0384.JPG
Keith.P

Re: Little 40 FV series

Post by Keith.P »

Other than the head and fuel tap its a very nice motor, good price too.
I use my FVP when ever I can, lively little motors.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Do not get rid of the fuel tap.

I know one person who will want it. :wink:

H-A
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

You are right H-A :D Not got hold of him yet.

Had a further tinker with the FV and found that the banjo bolt threads had stripped. Luckily there is just enough metal to drill out and fit a 1/8 BSP helicoil, which has worked nicely. I also took the chance to strip down to the bare casting, clean it up and give it a coat of silver hammerite. Will leave a couple of weeks for the paint to harden off..

Should be able to test it soon.
Attachments
100_0394.JPG
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

What are the differences between a FV and a FVP? Are the cylinder heads the same?
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Looks the same?

Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Nice engine :P
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

The FV and the FVP both share the same cylinder head, as well as gaskets, block, crankcase etc, in the same way that Forty Plus and Forty Minus models are the same up top.

I haven't got a spare I'm afraid.

These little motors are among my favourites.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I've now got hold of a FVP model that is incomplete. So once I get the latest one home I should have all the parts I need :D

I might even end up with some surplus FVP bits.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I went to pick up the FVP today, and the wife of the chap selling it was telling me how she grew up in the 60s using this engine on a dinghy with her dad. This story left me feeling guilty and it is far too good to break as a parts engine, and is complete apart from transom bracket and broken tiller.

So my plan to solve parts shortages with a donor engine has failed :oops: It looks like another one to clean up and use 8) Interesting to see the FV and FVP next to each other.

Anybody got a tiller for a FVP? I still need a cylinder head as well!

Will I be able to find a parts engine that I am actually ruthless enough to break into parts? :roll:
Attachments
FVP
FVP
FV and FVP side by side
FV and FVP side by side
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

As I now have 3 little 40s, time to start the project to make 2 good engines out of the 3 I have in various states...

I removed the incorrect head fitted to the first FV I got, to find a home made alluminium head gasket, and a paper lower gasket amongst all the crud and corrosion. Cylinder block was fine, but there is quite a bit of corrosion on the gasket face of the crankcase. All the studs are corroded, but functional and solid.

Has anbody got any experience of repairing these crankcases? Welding, epoxy filler, solder? I'm perusing what to do. 3 of the 4 studs can be drilled out and helicoiled. The forth won't have enough crankcase around it after drilling to take a helicoil though :(

It will be a shame to lose the crankcases as it is the only one I have with the transom bracket mount on the crankcase rather than the leg.

Next job is to strip engine no 2 down to see what lurks there, and what can be used 8)
Attachments
Corrosion has eaten into the crank case
Corrosion has eaten into the crank case
Cylinder will clean up easily
Cylinder will clean up easily
First impressions hmm...
First impressions hmm...
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Could you not swap crank case half over to keep what you need?
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

It's good to get the forum back!

The FV is now rebuilt apart from the tank. The paint is now curing on the fully repaired tank, and very good it looks too. Now to decals, is the white gull that is available from SOS the correct decal for a FV? I have seen some photos of a little 40 tank with "SEAGULL" in yellow/gold lettering rather than a white seagull?

Also can a kind person advise the dimensions of the oil mixture decal from one of their tanks? It looks to be around 1.5 inch by 2 inch or thereabouts.

Thanks.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I don't think they are available, I have asked before, I got hold of a decal about a year ago, haven't seen them about for some time.
The fuel mix decal is about four times the size of the 102 one.
for the protective pads, a good thick gasket paper, I wouldn't use rubber as it will vibrate.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I'm going to have a go at making the mixture one myself. I've found a source of waterslide transfer paper that can be printed on an inkjet printer. I'll give it a go.