TC 57014 57/58

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Grumpy

TC 57014 57/58

Post by Grumpy »

Pushing my luck with another post but here we go.
Monday, 9am, saw a 102 advertised locally for $55NZ , as excellent for parts.
Don't have a 102 and struck by seagull fever I convinced the wife I would never ever , never , buy another seagull and sure could bet on that and hey, trust me.
Picked it up today Tuesday and after reading so much on site about fixing and repairing old stuff that patience and time were the gods I set my mind to making this a long term quality project and not to bother with smash and grab and blow any problem sideways.
Got home noon, noticed some lesser problems, tasks to fill in my long cold winter days but was annoyed the gull seemed utterly seized
By 2pm the gearbox was in pieces and the problems presented themselves.
The driveshaft extension in the gearbox housing resisted all attempts to free and large doses of wd40 and heat failed to fix.
My one mistake was to inadvertently breaking the metal.water impeller not realising it had a bottom half.
I have read , and will do so again, the info re freeing seized outboards especially as when I found the piston was stuck also I flooded it with large doses of oil and wd40 and suddenly it came free . All my problems floated away .
It has good compression with that, to me anyway, that sucking sound as the flywheel is turned. Sounds superb.
The clutch lever has been welded with a home made addition and the plastic rest on the outboard bracket is obviously not genuine and anyway its broken.
It has a bosch sparkplug which I plan to clean up and try on another gull.
Gotta slow down though and hopefully I can finally free the driveshaft extension as rest of the gearbox turns ok.
A couple of weeks soaking in diesel or what? Lots of heat when the time arrives?
Is there ever the occaision when something seized stays seized forever?
Attachments
005.JPG
004.JPG
016.JPG
015.JPG
011.JPG
Hugz

Re: TC 57014 57/58

Post by Hugz »

That's a pretty high tech can of WD40. A few of those on the transom, ignition and away!

I'm assuming it is not rotating and stuck solid. After the obvious of heat and oil I find tapping every now and again works wonders. Another trick that works for me is to attach a weighted lever to the shaft and let gravity and time work on the rotation.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Give it more heat! Heat is your friend when it comes to freeing parts.

What are you using to heat up your parts?
Send me a pm if you want to have a talk about it over the phone or need any help with it.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

High tech can of wd40-----I only buy the best, Okker stuff from the okker super cheap store.
Actually I like that other okker lubricant from Queensland, forget its name but its a bit dearer.
What is seized is the drive shaft , the shaft for the prop turns aok, or rather when the clutch is disengaged.
The impeller is also on solid and not spinning.
As Nudge says, heat heat and more heat.
Nudge will be contacting you definitely if no luck soon as I really want to succeed with this one. But then I also want to slow myself down and develop some maturity and patience before I get old.
Anyway I have already arranged some company to come with me down to see the 2nd day of the Waikato race.
Only have to front up all the petrol money and all meals .
I'm quite looking forward to it.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

For heat I use the cheap 220g cans of butane with a hand gun.
$6 for 4.
I believe there are more expensive cans with an 80/20 mixture of something else.
Don't know if that's worthwhile.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Heat the absolute *&%$£" out of it (the outside of the gear casing close to the inlet holes) BLOODY HOT mind you, then turn with a pair of adjustable spanners on the drive shaft. It will be the pinion bush thats seized. Soak in wd40 once it's cooled down enough and keep turning to allow the fluid to penetrate further.

Oops. Impellers are fragile things and dont take too much to break into a thousand bits.
The drive shaft will seperate from the pinion with LOTS of heat and patience. A vice works well for this job. Clamp the shaft in the vice, heat things up and give the whole gearbox a wiggle sideways back and forth to "stretch" the square section away from the pinion. Rubber hammer helps but dont go too heavy with hammer blows or you run the risk of breaking/damaging something else!

Nice score.
PM me with your email details and i'll send you a form to fill in for my data collection. :P

Jon
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Nudge will be contacting you definitely if no luck soon as I really want to succeed with this one.
Not a problem at all!

I have a big gas torch, and if that isnt enough I can fire up the furnace and give it a real good cooking!! :twisted:
I can unseize anthing if it ia made with Aluminium!!!

I may have a gearbox here that might help you out.
Dont worry about the impeller if you can't find one I can cast a new one for you.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Ok Nudge. Your furnace looks a touch bigger than my butane gas gun .
Have spent 2 days ignoring my desire to gain maturity and patience and have gone all out to free this respectful gearbox,
No luck.
Have ended up bursting it into flames, with my butane, and into 5 litres of 15 year old diesel and some other nondescript oil . Don't hold out great hopes though whatever else happens in this life or even if WEST BROM win the FA CUP I have to finish my affair with this gearbox.
Done heaps of cleaning and preparing everything like bolts and tank and cables for the finishing bits.
Then today , finishing up at 4pm I discover a rough gearbox of a similar vintage , please do not ask how and when I got it, and like a maniac I strip it down blasting every nut and bolt with butane and wamo the driveshaft and prop shaft all turn.
Gearbox end cap destroyed and there are 2 minor problems .
The gearbox end cap cap had one bolt broken off short and will need extracting and the grease nipple will not move.
I'm a bit afraid I may butcher these so I''ll con you to get them out. Whats your hourly rate ?
Everything in this other gearbox including the impellor appears to be a winner albeit not a gold medal but not a wooden spoon.
Dunno whether to get new gaskets or make them myself.
AND is it important that grease or oil is fed into this hole for the shaft of these 102's.
Is it not capable of sucking up oil from the gearbox?
Thank you Nudge , will contact.
Cheers Jim
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I'm a bit afraid I may butcher these so I''ll con you to get them out. Whats your hourly rate ?
I dont have an houry rate for hobby stuff... it is all part of the fun!

PM ed you back.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Good to meet up today Jim.
Glad we could get you gearbox un seized without breaking any more bits.
The only problem was you didn't stay long enough and there was day light left, forcing me to have to mow the lawn!

If you have any other problems give me a shout... Im more than happy to help.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Thank you Nudge for everything today.
Fixing up the 2 gearboxes , the time etc.
I learnt heaps today, sorted out so many matters that puzzled me and was most impressed with your knowledge and abilities but I'll stop there before your head explodes.
3 great hours, and that must be a record for me over the last 20 years.
Thanks.
Have a look on your bench in case I left the old broken impeller there, as I can't locate it here although its of no real concern.
Cheers.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I cant find that impeller. I will see if I can get the one off that other drive shaft. That is if I can work out how to get to that brass pin out!
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Finally got this 102 going and running well at that and throwing out healthy water.
Was expecting to hear a different sound like everyone says they are a different beast to the centuries,
No wonder I' cannot play any musical instrument , it sounds just like all the others.
Disappointed.
Anyway still have some minor matters to fix but there is one biggie.
Have excess vertical play down the flywheel . Perhaps 2-3 mm and could this be trouble when the motor warms up?
No choke does not seem to worry it,
Starts 1st or 2nd pull on say 1/3 throttle
Is the most messy gull I have but may settle down.
Thanks very much to Nudge and Jon.
Attachments
007.JPG
005.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Good stuff!
Interesting paint colour! Take a look half way down the page
http://britishseagullparts.com/outboards/102series.htm

What do you want a choke for??? Just put your hand over the intake!

What is messy about it? Gear box or fuel leak?
If the gear box is leaking you have got it over filled with oil or you need to make a new gasket for the cap.

Are you using the box we unseized or the one we got the bolt out of?
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

I reckon that it is all very cool!

Now what were the promises to the missus?

:lol:

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others