Drive shaft.

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Keith.P

Re: Drive shaft.

Post by Keith.P »

The whole idea is to give out the correct information, to do that you need to know what motor it is, it just makes life easier.
Why do all this research on seagull, if they are all the same, I know they are not all the same.
Pulling heads off little forty's, is not a good idea for anyone that's never worked on seagull, all the parts are not available, unless you can find them, otherwise Tam ends up buying it off Ebay in parts.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

We've been saying since the Millennium, that all questions should include the descriptor part of the serial number, for example, ESPC ***DD3 would be perfect.

That would be enough to ensure that we are answering questions about the right motor type, & as Keith so rightly says "if it really is a little model 40 & it doesn't really need a power head strip down, don't start a job, your not sure you will be able to finish" .
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Griffin71

Post by Griffin71 »

The engine is a 40 plus built in June 1972 :lol:
FPI42F2.
I call it little as Iam more used to car engines, so a single piston is small. :lol:
But if I can give this engine a new lease of life then all well. 8)
Qualified Cable tie Technician.
Griffin71

Post by Griffin71 »

If anyone is interested I have totally stripped the gearbox into component parts, all waiting for cleaning and rebuilding 8)
I have taken advice from this thread and started to strip the cylinder which was a good move as the water channels in the block were very gummed up, the piston had no carbon fouling I do not believe the engine had seen a great deal of use 8)
The fuel tank and flywheel have been cleaned stripped and re sprayed, along with the rear clamp. :lol:
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Chas, Keith and others

I might not be the best person at accuratley trying to describe something, often choosing the wrong words even. Let's face it, we've all done it at some point. Let's not slate each others comments for the wrong reasons. We (the forum) are a collection of enthusiasts from all walks of life with a common interest, and together our opinions and knowledge are what gets talked about here for all to see.
Rightly or wrongly,one persons interpretation of "little" can often lead to confusion. (not on my part this time around though)

But i do agree with Charles in that it would make replying to certain questions that much easier if an engine serial number had been mentioned previously.
Perhaps someone would be brave enough to make a video showing how to remove a cylinder-head, how to clean out a waterjacket, how to re-hone a cylinder bore etc. etc., perhaps just as Seagull did it way back when. Always quote the engine number.

Just thought i'd get that out there.

Nice work by the way Griffin71, and well done for stripping the head off. (told you it was a wise move didn't i)

Jon
Griffin71

Post by Griffin71 »

I would have loved to have done a video for this rebuild 8) I did not really set out for a total restoration, but it has been fun totally different than a car engine, :lol: at least there is no lying on your back in the cold and wet. :lol:
The advice I have had from this site has been invaluable, my latest trial was the removal of the very stubborn flywheel base plate and the top of the crankshaft housing, :oops:
a tip I picked up as an apprentice toolmaker back in the late 1980s from an old engineer the best tool you can have is a copper drift, a good lump of copper rod or block pays dividends. :lol: :lol:
Griffin71

Post by Griffin71 »

The block was well worth checking out Thanks for that Jon. :lol: