No drive.. :-(

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

fasteddy

No drive.. :-(

Post by fasteddy »

Hi all..
Am new to all this, boats, outboards etc.. Have an engineering background and a 'have a go' attitude and so bought my 1952 102 Seagull that would not start..
Stripped down the easy bits and gave it a clean, pulled apart the gearbox which I then cleaned and filled with 140 oil..
After a head scratching afternoon trying to get it going I saw a youtube video on how to energize the coil, did that and wow.. started first time..!
Took it out on Loch Shin and it ran very smoothly.. until I ran out of fuel!! Had to moor my dinghy and popped to the local garage and fueled up again..

Started 2nd pull, but no drive! I certainly had not hit anything, ran out of fuel in deep water. The motor is still running smoothly, when I dis-engage the clutch there is no drop in revs (there was before) although the engine sound does change, the prop is not turning..

Know I have to reach for the spanners, but am looking for any hint of where to start.. ?
Oyster 49

Re: No drive.. :-(

Post by Oyster 49 »

First thing to check is the drive spring, has this sheared?
fasteddy

Post by fasteddy »

Hi Oyster 49..

Drive spring is fine, was able to check that when I was on the water.. When I manually turn the prop with;
clutch on - moves freely round with no play or obstructions
clutch off - the flywheel remains static, twice in a full revolution the prop and all attached to it moves out and then back in again. Am guessing the gears are jumping.

Had a quick look at a parts diagram and there is another spring inside the gearbox called 'spring for clutch dog'.. did you mean that one Oyster? Pretty sure that is the spring that applies the required pressure to the gears to keep them engaged, sounds promising but I do remember it being in very good condition when I serviced the gearbox.. Is there an easy way to see if the bevel pinion is turning without pulling the gearbox apart?
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

The clutch is a simple dog clutch, and the gear are always engaged. One pair of dogs is attached to the shaft and another is part of the gear. When you pull down on the clutch lever the fork arm operates and pushes the shaft forward, this disengaging the dogs and then no drive.

So first thing to do is to ensure it is assembled correctly, and then adjust it to get a nice bite. To do this you can disconnect the clutch lever and turn the operating rod up or down to change the adjustment.

Let us know how you get on.
fasteddy

Post by fasteddy »

Hi Oyster..

Thanks for the advice, was trying to avoid taking apart the gearbox as it was a bit of a messy job first time around.. Will have to wait until tomorrow now, kids n' stuff to sort out..
Seems odd that I lost drive the way it happened, but something coming loose in the gearbox is quite possible..
Will get back to you tomorrow when I can get to my biggest hammer..
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Try adjusting the actuating rod before you open up the gearbox...
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Before you take anything to bits, remove the spark plug, engage in gear & poke a screw driver through the top front water inlet hole inlet until you can touch the pinion shaft or the drive shaft & rotate the propeller, can you feel any movement?

Movement here would imply rusted out drive shaft, not unheard of in a 65 year old seagull, no movement & you've got to open the gear box again!

I think yours should have the lower unit that you can touch the rotating shaft in.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
fasteddy

Post by fasteddy »

Hi All..
Apologies for not responding but have spent the past week in hospital and so have been out of action.. Will get to it this weekend and try to get to the bottom of the problem.. Thanks for the tips, will give me somewhere to start and will get back to you guys when I have investigated further..