Saga of the TC 102

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

red42hj

Saga of the TC 102

Post by red42hj »

managed to get the TC 102 running, but when in gear, cannot get enough revs to keep it cool. The (external ) water exhaust stops below a certain rev range, and the engine overheats. The impeller is good and the water system clean. In neutral ,it runs well. Tried changing to a smaller prop which helped a lot, but this should not have to be should it? ( Charles, I will post a pic of it ,and the props this week ). Also , detected a fine spray of petrol coming out of the cowling. Could this be caused by a float chamber problem?
Oyster 49

Re: Saga of the TC 102

Post by Oyster 49 »

Its quite normal for water flow to reduce to very little when the engine is idling. Also when running in a tank, if a prop is fitted the water will become very aerated, and thus water flow into the inlet becomes hugely reduced.

So when running in a tank its much better to run in neutral.
red42hj

Post by red42hj »

Thanks Oyster.
red42hj

Post by red42hj »

Sorry, I should have said; this was during a run up the river.
red42hj

Post by red42hj »

Still finding problems with the TC. The float was too high as it had somehow slipped up the needle above the groove. Explains the fuel spray coming out of the cowling. The ignition system is suspect. ( Villiers ) can anyone suggest a modern coil replacement? Also a condenser? I'm told the Wipac is a better system, but I would still like to know I have a new coil and condenser in place either way.
Regards, Red.