Silver Century silencer/exhaust tube

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

timer

Silver Century silencer/exhaust tube

Post by timer »

I’m stripping my engine down to clean the waterways and block. I’ve got the head off but can’t separate the block and tube. I’ve removed the clamp and see there is a small dimple in the tube but the tube is rock solid attached to the block. I’ve tried wiggling it to no avail and will be be really grateful I’d someone could suggest a way to get them separated?
tambikeboy

Re: Silver Century silencer/exhaust tube

Post by tambikeboy »

Heat is your best buddy on this one heat it spray it and wriggle it i tend to tap it back and forth with a rubber hammer at furthest away point ....good luck
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
timer

Post by timer »

Thanks for that. Do you think a hot air gun will be strong enough or will I need a blowtorch?
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

You didn't say if yours had a chrome or an aluminium exhaust tube, hot air might do aluminium.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
timer

Post by timer »

Thanks Charles it’s aluminium so I’ll give hot air a try with the rubber hammer that I have.I actually no longer have a blowlamp and don’t fancy the B&Q queue! This is the 3rd seagull I’ve stripped without a blowtorch and something catches me out every time mind you i’m running out of plus gas too
Thank you both for your prompt replies
timer

Post by timer »

Thank you both. It came off undamaged this afternoon with heat from a heat gun and WD40. I’ve just got to split the pump housing now and may take it to my local garage as I don’t have an impact driver after soaking it with plus gas. The woodruff key is also jammed in.
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

Try chappin it both ends to lossen of then a small screwdriver at the end tap with a light hammer usually works..
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
timer

Post by timer »

Cheers Tambikeboy I’ll try that on the key. Before I go to the garage i’ve found a gas camping stove to heat the pump bolts but they’re the old slotted ones ones so I’ll have to be careful.
I once had a key fall out. The engine gave a massive backfire and I had to reseal the crank. Typical that I can’t get this one out when the last one fell out
timer

Post by timer »

Got it all apart now. The centre pump bolt took a while! I kept repeatedly heating it using a camping gas stove and quenching it with water and penetrating oil. I purchased a Silverline impact driver (£7.50) and kept tapping that. Eventually after a couple of hours heating cooling and tapping I used the excellent slotted bit out of the Silverline tool holder and attached my 1/2” socket bar and was able to wind it out without damage. I would suggest that as well as heat and an impact driver patience is definitely your friend!