Cooling water 40

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Rig pig

Cooling water 40

Post by Rig pig »

A nice relaxing day on the river turned into an hour of hard rowing when the cooling water stopped flowing, lucky I noticed it before it cooked the engine!
I've stripped the pump and found lots of sludge in the housing and blasted air through the block and leg releasing a load more, looks like there must have been a lot of silt in the river!
Typically the 2 screws have sheared off in the gearbox so I'm debating whether to extract them and order new Whitworth capheads or re tap M8 and spin a couple of stainless screwheads down to fit the counterbores. Anyone else done this? Looks to be plenty of meat to do it.
20200704_174530.jpg
Attachments
20200704_173725.jpg
Charles uk

Re: Cooling water 40

Post by Charles uk »

Have you tried taking out the 2 broken screws yet?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Rig pig

Post by Rig pig »

Not yet, I'll have a look at them later, I think I will have to weld a couple of nuts on the broken stubs, they are well corroded.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Try with penetrating oil & the vice grips first!

And tell us what you find.
Rig pig

Post by Rig pig »

No joy with stillsons but the MIG did the job. I'll see if I can get a couple of cap heads tomorrow, failing that it's going metric.
The bottom gasket looks like asbestos, fortunately it came off whole so it's going back with a smear of silicon to worry about another day.
20200705_182542.jpg
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Normally they come out as most of the locking is in the clearance void in the water pump housing where water stays & over time forms an aluminium oxide buildup which seems to work far better than Loctite, you could see evidence of it in your pics.

When you replace the broken screws with new 1/4" BSF cap heads lubricate them with RTV, that should stop the same problem happening again.
Rig pig

Post by Rig pig »

They were well corroded in, don't think they were coming out without a blast of heat. It's all back together again ready for a test in the tank if it ever stops raining.
Next job is to set it up for 25:1 I didn't enjoy sitting in the cloud of smoke from 10:1!