Is this normal? 102 woes

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

CaptainSparrow

Is this normal? 102 woes

Post by CaptainSparrow »

Picked up a 1952 model 102 with what looks like a dent in the head as if it was dropped on the spark plug, the broken plug got me thinking that anyway.

does anyone know if this is how they came or if its damaged?

Serial number AC27921

I couldn't help myself and got her running and on the water, she ran well for a bit then suddenly cut out. no fizzle and pop just a hard sudden stop like jamming a stick in bicycle spokes. i have cleaned the fuel tank, cleaned carb, fresh fuel, new plug, changed plug cap, swapped out carb, gapped points and plug, checked and double checked all the regular issues.

... no i didnt leave the fuel tap off or forget to open the tank vent... not this time at least

when its going it goes really well, revs high, has loads of power but then locks up and just dies with quite a violent stop. could this be due to the dented head?
Attachments
20200718_165619.jpg
All men die, few truly live
CaptainSparrow

Re: Is this normal? 102 woes

Post by CaptainSparrow »

new development!

i took the plug out and noticed it was still stiff to turn over, i hadnt noticed how much force was needed to spin her until i compared it side by side to my other 102. obviously everything moves but its noticeably harder to turn her than the other one which spins freely when in neutral and no plug
All men die, few truly live
tambikeboy

Re: Is this normal? 102 woes

Post by tambikeboy »

Would like to see another pic of dent can cast iron be dented I'd be checking con rod ??? :shock:
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow