No ignition spark

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Voyseyboy

No ignition spark

Post by Voyseyboy »

Hi all. I am in the process of an overhaul of my ESPCL Silver Century plus and before refitting the engine block to the drive leg, fitting fuel tank etc I tested the ignition for a spark by spinning the flywheel, but nothing!
The spark plug is new.
My problem is that I don't recognise the magneto. Just about all engines I have seen, both in real life and picture form, have the flywheel visible, spinning on the top. Mine has a domed cover and once the cover/pull chord mechanism has been removed I cannot see how to disassemble the magneto. On other models, once the pull chord mechanism has been removed the points are visible through one of 2 cut outs in the magneto top. Mine is a solid top.
From a YouTube video suggestion I have spun up the flywheel for 5 minutes using a drill to re-magnetise the magnet, still nothing. Also, my HT lead is integral to the magneto so I am unable to remove it for replacement (if that is the problem, yet to be determined) without having to strip the magneto down.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Paul
tambikeboy

Re: No ignition spark

Post by tambikeboy »

I'd imagine you have an electronic ignition system that's why your not seeing the kidney shaped holes pictures would be nice...
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

E in the engine number signifies electronic ignition as does a flywheel without holes, so no points to set.

The only cure is a new cdi ignition, best talk to John Williams.

A picture of the side of the flywheel would show whether you need a white or black cdi.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Voyseyboy

Post by Voyseyboy »

Thanks for your replies, and yes I now understand that mine is an electronic ignition system.