prop bush

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

red42hj

prop bush

Post by red42hj »

I,m thinking of renewing the propeller bushes on 3 of my gulls.All the props are a bit loose on the shaft, but I assume thats quite normal, especially after all this time. Problem is, the longer bushes are hard to come by ( 23 mm). I,m wondering if there is a clever way to get over this? Some way of building up the shaft maybe? Does anyone have any ideas?
regards, red.
tambikeboy

Re: prop bush

Post by tambikeboy »

I once made a wee shim from an opened up red bull can and no it never gave me wings.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Does this looseness affect anything & why would tightening this up, be a positive?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

Charles uk wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:20 pm Does this looseness affect anything & why would tightening this up, be a positive?
I think what he's trying to explain is that his prop is wobbly and not to good of a fit on the shaft china.....there's usually a bit of play but the prop i sent him is like stirring porage I never checked to see if it was a worn bush or a worn shaft....
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I understand that Tam, but as the prop only rotates on that shaft after the spring breaks & the bush is phosphor bronze & the shaft softer stainless steel it's very unlikely the wobbliness is caused by a worn bush as that will be the same internal diameter as a new replacement & there's is no point in running the motor when it's not pushing water backwards it won't be rotating in there for many minutes! so won't wear the shaft much.

Try laying the motor down with the spark plug facing up & put 45 lbs of weight on the prop if it's a Featherweight or 75 lbs if it's a Silver century, & try wobbling the prop, very little movement, that's the same as the thrust pushing the prop onto the collar on the prop shaft when in use.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
red42hj

Post by red42hj »

thanks Tam and Charles, the fact that the pressure keeps the prop steady on the shaft is really what I was hoping for. The looseness is not important, and in the case of the 13" prop that Tam has very kindly sent me, its exagerated by its size.