170 RPM

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

rosbullterier

170 RPM

Post by rosbullterier »

I think I am correct that the Century runs up to 3800 to 4000 RPM, but what about the 170? Overevving seems to be its downfall and I would like to experiment with other ratio gearboxes and props. ( after the new bronze end cap is fitted) . . .
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Hopefully the other Charles will be reading this forum from down under. We are most definitely straying into territory that he has made his very own...
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

What you can rev it up to depends on the condition of your 170.

With my race 170 I throttled back at Easter, if the revs exceeded 6500 , as I needed to finish, if I wanted to finish first,

With an ok 170 on the back of a 12 foot plus non racing hull I would guess 4000 to 4500 revs should be good.

If it won't do that, it sounds ready for the skip or a good once over.

With a bronze end cap it would all depend on the quality of the engineering.
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

Thank you Charles - don't forget I shall have your revcounter attached. Although modifying the engine to improve performance is beyond my remit (or capability) I would like to check how propellors pitch will affect the revs and therefore wanted to know where to start from. I'm using a 1:2.5 gearbox. The bronze bigend cap will hopefully be as well ventilated to the petroil as the original.