Little wire from flywheel

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

tonybrentwood
Little wire from flywheel

Post by tonybrentwood »

Hi,
I've just bought a forty plus (electronic ignition) off Ebay, and there is a little wire sticking out from the bottom of the flywheel. It is not connected to anything, but it looks like it has a push connector or crimp on the end (red). Anybody know what it's for please?
The motor runs like a dream, but how do you stop it other than pulling off the plud cap or letting it run out of petrol?
Thanks for your help,
Tony.
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

Hello Tony - sounds like the wire is where someone has rigged up an earth switch. Connect a length of wire to it, unless you can expose the metal connector, run the motor, and touch the wire to any part of the engine. If this was part of an earth switch, the motor will cut out.
Normally, a Seagull is stopped just by having the throttle cable adjusted so that when the lever is closed, the carburettor is fully closed, causing the motor to stop. At the end of use, some people like to close the petrol tap to use up the fuel in the carb. bowl - a question of fine judgement and the availability of a pair of oars! Rick
tonybrentwood
Post by tonybrentwood »

Thanks Rick,
I'll try earthing the wire this weekend when I (hopefully) get the boat out, and also try adjusting the throttle cable so it will stop!
I really appreciate you help -thanks.
Best regards,
Tony.