What to do about my bottom end...

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

GULLABLE TEXAN

What to do about my bottom end...

Post by GULLABLE TEXAN »

I have a small flock of Gulls here at the ranch and would like to know if anyone knows the tricks to be able to put a small higher ratio gearset and 2 blade peop on a short shaft barge pusher 102 that presently has a 4 blade weed free and a gearbox the size on an icebox melon...

gullible texan
Rob Ripley

Re: What to do about my bottom end...

Post by Rob Ripley »

I have a 40+ gearbox on my 102 - so I can play with 2 blade 102, 4 blade 102, 5 blade C100, and 4 blade 40+.
GULLABLE TEXAN

Post by GULLABLE TEXAN »

Rob, thanks for the reply post. I have a 40+ and 2 Silver C models. I hope to make the 'Round de Island race next June and do not want to be a burden to the proper racers. I do not know if one of my barge pushers will do the trick, although Charles uk has let me know that the 40 would not do as it is too small. If the 40 bottom can be swapped over to the WSPC without damage to either unit, I would do it. The 40 is fitted with a three blade weed free prop tha I do not have the diameter of at present. Would that be a good speed prop for the safe top rpm of the 102? I saw various photos of race prepared 102's and they hade a streamlined looking gearbox with a wicked looking 2 blade that seems like it would take a great deal of rpm to be effective. Is that so? Thanks again fro the help.
Gullable Texan
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

according to the latest "boat magazine" a 14 x 21 prop has a dia of 14" and will travel 21" for each revolution.( in theory) less in practice. The more metal in the water the greater the drag but more blades give a smooter push. a two blade prop of suitable size and rake should be quicker than four.
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
GULLABLE TEXAN

Post by GULLABLE TEXAN »

Does anyone know which combination of 4 blade 102 weed free, 5 blade 102 square cut, or 3 blade weed free, would fit the 40+ bottom and be the best to push a 350lb. +-, 16' flat bottom Swift Canoe (SC16) by bateau.com., with350lbs. of crew. We intend to build the boat when we arrive and ship the Gull to some race supporter for pick up. We are both seasoned doers (teacher and mechanic) of numerous years but need experienced advice.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Just to make sure, when you refer to 'barge pusher' could you quote the serials so we can picture what you actually have? Thanks.
GULLABLE TEXAN

Post by GULLABLE TEXAN »

Thanks Charles, my bad.

WSPC1621KK7

WSPCL319FF4

EFPC268GG9

All are in good running order and have been in fresh water all along. I will snap some photos asap and see if I can attach them.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Thank you

You have two Silver Century Plus motors, and an Electronic Forty Plus with a clutch. The Silver Centuries are just that, they are not 102's. The 102 series, although sharing the 102cc capacity of the Century, are different.

'Barge Pushers' are a longer version of the 102. They have an enormous 13" cloverleaf 4 blade propellor, and a large bulbous gearbox. So none of yours are 'Barge Pushers'.
GULLABLE TEXAN

Post by GULLABLE TEXAN »

I will return to SOS's history and identification page for needed information education as I am not able to differentiate between the 102 and Silver Century. One of mine,WSPCL, has a 211/4" exhaust tube and an 11" square 5 bladed prop and the other,WSPC, has a 16" exhaust tube and an 11" 4 blade weed free. The 40+ has an 8" three blade weed free. The gear case on the 40 is much smaller than the Silver's and I would ask is this because of a much higher gear ratio? Can these bottom ends be swapped without deleterious modifycations and result in higher boat speeds by reducing drag and adding propeller revs?
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

GULLABLE TEXAN wrote: Can these bottom ends be swapped without deleterious modifycations and result in higher boat speeds by reducing drag and adding propeller revs?
You could PM Charles Large, there is a fair chance he will run you through what can easily be done with a Century engine to make it go a little better.

If you are going to Bermuda to do the round the Island race, he may well be able to give you a few pointers as he has done that race before.

H-A

P.S. Just looked at the Solo round the Americas, wow that takes some guts. 8)
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

I always try keeping my bottom end really neat and tidy.

Hope that helps.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
GULLABLE TEXAN

Post by GULLABLE TEXAN »

Collector Inspector wrote:I always try keeping my bottom end really neat and tidy.

Hope that helps.

B
Well said CI... I have heard that many of them are greasy and leak!

I have a wish to make the one on my WSPC, and my own, smaller, lighter, and with the best match to the power band of the heartbeat of the Gull. Capitain Marlowe and mineself, wish to at least prevent having the Bermuda Race chase boat from baby sitting us for 10 hours as we putt along 'round de Island. We realize the Gullians of yore will leave us in a cloud of exotic smoke and fuel, but we have no fear of taking a rear guard position. We have a Silver Century, WSPC1621KK7, with a 4 wing weed free 11" prop in excellent low time condition, a WSPCL319FF4 in nice running shape with an 11" square 5 blade, and a wee 40+ with an 8"three ear weed free. We are at some disadvantage being American Yanks, Texans, neighbors of Willie Nelson, poor, overweight, fresh water sailors, without a boat, no where to stay or ship our Gull and kit too, and ignorant of race etiquette except for the required gear on board, drink too much (except Capitain Marlowe), and only speak Mexican, Icelandic, Ebonic, and an American/Texas dialect. We still want to come see how the 1% race and offer our meager entertainments and assistance with cleaning up afterward. What would you advise from the higher altitudes of experienced maintainers of the marque?

Your most humble student and servants,
Bob Johnson & Marlowe Macintyre,
GULLABLE TEXAN

Post by GULLABLE TEXAN »

I have applied myself at the members list to find a Century Guru and so far have not been able to come up with an addy for Charles Large, to send a PM, as advised by H-A, but only others of differing suffix. Perhaps I have not been a part of the forum long enough to operate the system correctly,or just don't ken the insider lingo. Help from any quarter would bring considerable appreciation. Tips from John Williams and the Power Posters have been awe inspiring at the least and Charles UK is a font of reality. With three orphaned adult Gulls, my need to feed them is unending. There seems to be some kind of an organic attraction to the simplicity of the Gulls that draws an unwary putz as me into hidden pratfalls of disassembly. The more I read and learn, the less courage I have to pull them apart lest they suffer the same fate as a feathered one when taken apart...

Bless all on the Forum, may all their grandchildren be born bald headed and naked,

Gullable Texan
Michael

Post by Michael »

Bob,
I am in Bermuda and do participate in the RISR. If you are serious about coming here to do the race, I would suggest making connections here and arranging to borrow boat and motor from here or arrange to go as "crew" on a boat here, at least for the first time. Geting your engine here whilst possible will be no easy task and you risk losing it to one of your TSA agents at the airport. Shipping it is really cost prohibitive in my opinion.
Going around with someone from here is your best option as the course is on open water and littered ith coral reefs, so some local knowledge helps.
If you then get biten by the bug, you may want to then consider bring your own gear to race with
GULLABLE TEXAN

Post by GULLABLE TEXAN »

Michael wrote:Bob,
I am in Bermuda and do participate in the RISR. If you are serious about coming here to do the race, I would suggest making connections here and arranging to borrow boat and motor from here or arrange to go as "crew" on a boat here, at least for the first time. Geting your engine here whilst possible will be no easy task and you risk losing it to one of your TSA agents at the airport. Shipping it is really cost prohibitive in my opinion.
Going around with someone from here is your best option as the course is on open water and littered ith coral reefs, so some local knowledge helps.
If you then get biten by the bug, you may want to then consider bring your own gear to race with

Michael, Thank you so much for your very helpful reply. The possibility of loosing our prime Seagull would be a depressing loss! Have not any intention of letting some mouth breather with a tin shield get my Gull so, that leaves out dry disassembled engine luggage. Freight, we have not looked yet but would imagine we would not like it. Borrowing a boat and motor seems unlikely but we would be delighted if you could suggest some way! Crew on another boat would be swell if there was a boat with captain big enough for a combined 350lbs of red headed Irish girl and her hairy legged sailor and sufficent lubricant to keep him grinnin'. We have some small experience dogging coral heads and watching for color sailing off the coast of Belize and Caye Caulker Island but by no means are fearless or competent to lead. We had hoped to follow old salts in the steady race cruising group, if there is one or two. Any help or suggestions would be carefully considered and appreciated.
Bob & Marlowe