Paint from Bill Hirsch Auto

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Colin

Paint from Bill Hirsch Auto

Post by Colin »

I've made a reference to this in a couple of messages throughout the last two or three months. During that time I've restored a WSPCL and paid particular attention to the paint.

The paints used are both from Bill Hirsch Auto of New Jersey http://www.hirschauto.com/ and bought from a local supplier here in the Vancouver area. The paint used and tested are C-8386 Hi Temp, Hi Gloss which can withstand temperatures of 600 F, and Space Age Bright Aluminum able to withstand temperatures of 1800 F. I followed the manufacturers instructions to the letter and all paint was applied using a Paasche airbrush http://www.paascheairbrush.com/

Non heat areas were first primered using a Cromate Primer, which apparently is very important when using this paint.

Once the final coat was applied the paint requires one week to completely harden and finally requires heat. In the case of the tank and other non heat areas I used the oven. My wife really appreciates this attention to detail in her kitchen!!!

One interesting observation to note. I have a Seagull part that's been under wraps for over thirty years I therefore believe the colour is probably very close to its original. Space Age Aluminum when dry is as close a colour match as I could expect. The Hi Temp Hi Gloss Black is close enough to the original Seagull block as to be completely passable as the original.

Rather than abuse the engine's new paint of which I spent many many hours preparing and painting, I also set up several test pieces in aluminum, brass and steel. Final paint was applied about 6 weeks ago; yesterday I ran some tests- rubbing a 25: 1 gasoline/2 stroke oil mixture onto the parts. On all metals and on all paints the results were outstanding - zero residue coming off onto a gas soaked rag rubbed over the items. The black showed a slight dis colorization, however I believe this was a result of gas/oil residue. Once completely evaporated I used Turtle wax and completely removed any dis-colorization.

I've run the engine and no parts painted in heat areas have shown any hint of discoloration.

This is by no means a cheap paint. 1 pint of Aluminum and a quart of black cost nearly $100 Canadian, however considering the labour that goes into any restored engine, I feel its well worth the price.
Colin

Northern Star
Vancouver BC.
twostrokenut

Post by twostrokenut »

Interesting reading Colin , I'm fortunate enough to work for a large powder coating company , and our stocks of colours and finishes is almost endless , with powder coating " once it's on it's on" . Heavy castings are a bit of a problem , as our oven system is geared up for aluminium.

Andy.