Prop sizes and types

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Swami

Prop sizes and types

Post by Swami »

I've seen 2 blade, 3 blade, 4 blade and 5 blade props on Gulls of varying sizes.

Is there a rule of thumb for prop size related to boat size and power to speed applications?

I am currently running a 9 and 1/4" 4 blade on my 4hp TC-102 on a 12' alum dinghy and it seems to me it could travel faster through the water for the same revs with a more pitched prop - (Not that I am any kind of speed freak!) Is this a correct assumption?
John@sos

Props

Post by John@sos »

Most Seagulls have only one prop they can use, the one they came with!

There were many fifferent props to suit different powers and gear reductions. whilst some are swoppable, they may not give any better performance.

Some later motors had the option of semi weedless props, eventually all the late models were fitted with these as standard. I do not believe they give quite as much thrust as the old 'Hydro Fan, but the don't catch as much weed either!

they had trolling props in the early years, to allow the revs to be kept up, so the water pumped and the plugs did not oil... we were talking old 30 grade oil in the fuel then!! They were the normal prop with the blades cut short! You paid extra for that!

Hope this helps.

Regards,
John
SOS
Swami

Post by Swami »

Thanks for that, John. Crystal clear now!