25-26 Aug 2012 Lake Tarawera Overnight Camping Run, NZ

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Rex NZ

25-26 Aug 2012 Lake Tarawera Overnight Camping Run, NZ

Post by Rex NZ »

25th Saturday 26th Sunday August 2012
Lake Tarawera Winter Overnight Camping Run to ‘Hot Water Beach’. NZ

8:30am Start
A leisurely cruise around scenic Lake Tarawera. An overnight camping adventure at toasty warm geothermal Hot Water Beach. The campsite is located on the southern shores within the shelter of the Arm. There’s a DOC campsite there with a composting toilet. You can make your own private geothermal rock pool on the beach. Start & finish at Kariri Point (aka Boatshed Bay).

Full details at
www.regattaevents.co.nz
Rex NZ

Re: 25-26 Aug 2012 Lake Tarawera Overnight Camping Run, NZ

Post by Rex NZ »

Update

It's all go for the weekend on lake Tarawera.

Both the long-range weather forecasts show a nice fine Saturday with a bit of cloud coming later on Sunday afternoon. Light winds.

http://metvuw.com/forecast/forecast.php ... noofdays=5
http://www.metservice.com/rural/rotorua

details here
www.regattaevents.co.nz
Rex NZ

Post by Rex NZ »

Follow-up 2012

The day started with some thick fog. A good turnout with a wide variety of vessels, 4 trailer yachts & 4 dinghies & 1 rubber duck. The usual chaos ensued at the start with some late starters, but eventually all managed to get away. Some cautious navigation thru the pea soup fog along the shoreline to 'The Lagoon'. Dr Wood gave some fascinating insights into the volcanic nature of the local area, & the interesting rock samples included a real lava bomb. Back underway the fog lifts to reveal a lovely clear sunny day. The beautiful surrounding native bush & clear waters make for spectacular scenes straight out of the Hobbit. Next stop at 'The Outlet' for a cup of tea & a biscuit,. A quick look into the crystal clear Tarawera River shows many wryly trout. Back on the water we pass under the hugely dominating volcano, no angry rumblings today. The wind remained very light making an easy final run to the 'Ariki Arm'. We arrive at the DOC camp-site & have it all to ourselves. Tents are pitched on prime waterfront sites, the yachts enjoy central heating from the geothermal water. Our location is a mere a few hundred metres from the site of the pink & white terraces, now buried. All this is followed with a soothing soak in the natural hot geothermal water. Our thoughts turn to wonder why most people choose to stay at home mowing lawns & washing the car. Hot dinners arrive on the support boat. Delicious roast lamb with mint sauce & roasted vegetables, no dishes to clean-up. The blazing gas fire keeps the cold away, night descends with a starry sky, various stars & 2x planets are identified with the help of an I-phone. Bedtime. Morning arrives, a little cloud has arrived keeping off the frost. Campsites are casually packed up. On the home run we take our time & explore the other hot springs & many stunning coves & inlets the lake has to offer.

Rex
Last edited by Rex NZ on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

This was a must do event, very well organised Thanks Rex. Lake Tarawera is one of stunning lakes we have in New Zealand. I thought the cups of tea served at each stop was defiantly a great idea. And the swim in the hot water stream will take a lot to beat. Thanks very much for all the hard work you and your Dad did, Rex
Rex NZ

Post by Rex NZ »

Tinker

Pleased you made the effort to turn up & enjoy yourselves

Did you manage any good photos?

Rex
Rex NZ

Post by Rex NZ »

Lagoon to the Outlet
Attachments
Tarawera2  2012.JPG
Tarawera 2012.JPG
Chilli Dog

Post by Chilli Dog »

looks like you guys had great weather , sorry I couldn't make it . Trailer is at the galvanisers as we speak .
I have two drive shaft posts at the chrome platers for a couple of102's I'm rebuilding . really looking forward to the summer . and so I get some respite from the seagull drone ,not to mention some exercise .I've installed these . should pick your ones up friday tinker .
Attachments
102 008.jpg
Chilli Dog Racing
Buzzook

Post by Buzzook »

That's a clever looking rowlock. Where did you get them from?
gullible, a. The effect on reason of the appearance of anything 'Gull-related on an internet sales site