Plastic fuel tank...

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

david1230

Re: Plastic fuel tank...

Post by david1230 »

Minn Kota makes several models without tanks at all :lol: (Joking of course)

I would love a good-looking stainless tank and dish out whatever to get it...but the thing is, not every Seagull owner can make his own, including filler, petcock and filter and straps to mount on the engine. And even then if by misfortune you happen to drop the motor or whatever usually happens to tanks...you'd still see damage and be stuck again with unrepairable dents.
I weld with Mig, Tig and stick and to be honest I'm not good enough of a welder to construct such a unit in a perfect way.
There's this guy on the net that fabricates the most beautiful brass tanks you could imagine, but he doesn't even reply to emails and it seems he just does it as a hobby and not for commerce.
I also realize that as mentionned, Seagull made many different motors and there's not just one universal tank that fits all. But there seems to be an over-population of Silver Centuries out there, judging by the many photos posted and especially that great series of pics of a collection which I believe Chilli Dog had a chance to visit a while back. That had me gawking and dribbling for hours! :D
My son's into model airplanes and you should see the detail and perfection the Chinese makers put into these plastic kits! Same with model boats. Why not Seagull tanks?
I'll do some personal research on the possibility as well as feasibility of plastic tanks identical to the original in every way...for the Silver Century type mount especially, then later for other Seagull models.
I'm on the trail and will let you know!
Cheers mates!
Silver Century 1971, Evinrude 8hp 1988, Evinrude 2hp 1987
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Is it the fish or the tank that let the shiny stuff on the water?
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
bychance

Post by bychance »

The stainless tank has a slow leak at one end, so we can't blame the fish!
david1230

Post by david1230 »

david wrote:And it seems to have a fish stuck to it.
That's normal...it's a Seagull! :lol:
If it weren't a fish it would be the remains of a Big Mac from McD ! :D
Silver Century 1971, Evinrude 8hp 1988, Evinrude 2hp 1987