Hot Seagull...

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

lakeviewlad

Re: Hot Seagull...

Post by lakeviewlad »

This motor runs so hot that it sounds like it's about to seize,beleive me I know what I'm talking about. My WSC,SD and AC can run for hours with no problems and the crankcase temp never exceeds the limit at which I can't hold it without distress... :oops: The AD gets positively piping hot after 20 mins or so :evil: I could pipe the water from the block back around so it pours over the crankcase :roll: that might work...otherwise I'll just build it back up and run it for short periods of say 15 mins then have a gin n' tonic and start her up again for another 15 mins and so on until my 5 hour voyage comes to an end... :P :P :P :P At that stage I won't care if the ruddy thing is hot or cold! :D
Remember,dust and dirt are the enemies of all moving parts...keep your motor clean and it will repay you!
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

After two hours or so all your problems will have been solved with gin and tonic brakes!
Perhaps you should ask her if she wants something refreshing!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

Just before you assemble it, Soak the cyl in a very strong mix of caustic soda and give it a good blast with a pressure washer if you have one. Im sure all AD cyls have removable plugs on the side to clean out all the water galleries im think. Give it a good clean and see whats inside. Remove the top and bottom water in and out fittings and see how you go. When its getting hot, does the tell tale water flow burn your fingers because its steaming so bad.
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Can owners tell us how hot their crankcases are running, so that we can arrive at an average range
for 12 bucks here is the tool for the job,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-to-380-Non-C ... 589f5c038d
cajuncook1

Post by cajuncook1 »

Charles uk wrote:Mercurys run hotter as they have a thermostat, Seagull's don't have that luxury.

Wasn't this motor stopping because it was too hot?

Can owners tell us how hot their crankcases are running, so that we can arrive at an average range.

Running a 1964 40 plus in barrel.

After running 5min.

Temp of the cylinder head around the spark plug is 220-228F

Temp of the power head on the sides is about 145F

Temp of the crank case is 130-135F

Temp of flywheel is 125F

Outside temp 95F