My life of Seagulling

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

BillyKnight

My life of Seagulling

Post by BillyKnight »

As a young boy in the late 70’s I dimly remember a whole rack of brand new Seagulls on display at a Yacht Chandlers in London and my Father having a fairly brief discussion with a member of staff before making his selection.

He’d recently moved out to Indonesia, my Parents had spilt up, I’d been put into “School” which felt like prison and my Father had treated himself to a Westerly Centaur out in Jakarta so was buying a brand new Avon dinghy and Seagull. I have to admit I definitely got the rough end of the pineapple on that one!

It was a strange time but I have fond memories of that engine and floppy old Avon redcrest. One time we were heading out of the Harbour in Jakarta with My Father, his newly acquired American Wife and the three of us kids when we hit a half- submerged steel 44 Gallon drum that was some sort of mooring buoy, right in the middle of the main channel.

The yacht had bilge keels so the resultant clonk meant a badly bent prop shaft and leaking stern bearing gland. It was not a good start to the holiday but we were packed up, ready to go so we carried on. Of course there was hardly any wind and the trip which I thought seemed to take an eternity became even more protracted. The week went OK but on the return run we ended up using the Avon and Seagull to tow us back in in between the old bamboo fishing traps in the dark.

He moved over to New Zealand in the mid ‘80s and continued yachting. That little 40 plus engine I think got stolen in the end. Dad did see it a few months later but could not really be bothered with argument of trying to get it back. I cannot recall us ever doing much to it but do remember replacing the square drive shaft which had rusted right through when the motor was maybe five or so years old. It was a cracking engine and I believe it is still alive and well.

Fast forward to 2005, My Wife and I have happily bought a small old Yacht and I am eager to get another Seagull. After a bit of sniffing around we ended up buying a late 50’s 102 long-shaft with the big gearbox, long range tank and rather impressive 13 inch four blade prop. What an old grunter that was, a lovely motor. I used that for about five years, other newer type engines were given to me or bought cheaply but they came and went. They were never quite as long, needed more frequent fuelling up or simply seemed to lack push. People in the Boat Club were very good to me and I must have been given half a dozen Seagulls of various types, none beat that old 102, I did keep a very original 40 minus that came my way for my little dinghy.

I loved the 102 and used it as our only engine for years, it never missed a beat but I must comment that its lack of reverse became an increasingly annoying issue. I tried an EFNR but again it was a bit short, had a small rusty steel tank and to me anyway looked rather inelegant compared to the old 102. The years rolled by but we’d had a Daughter and I got a bad case or “get responsible” and bought a 5hp four stroke Honda. I have run it ever since, marvellous. Smooth, quiet, reliable etc etc. No point comparing, but crikey it’s ugly! A big plastic box.

In the ensuing enthusiasm and cost recovery process I sold the 102, EFNR plus a couple of centuries and stuff. We used the 40 minus occasionally with the dinghy on club rallies but the big engines sort of got sidelined in my mind. That was until I had a chance meeting with a character who said to me he had a collection of Seagulls and wanted to thin them down. He opened his garage door and there they all were, it was like Pandoras box. I chose a nice old SD and the deal was done. He wouldn’t sell me the first choice I’d made, another SD but totally original. The one I chose had a later tank and the wrong mag. It was much like the old 102, but with more brass, bronze but a smaller tank and gearbox. I’d used a 102 with a similar box and tank and it had been very good. Really I’d bought it just because I wanted it. He’d used it a lot and it was obviously a good straight motor.
I rebuilt the SD but there was nothing wrong with it, in fact internally it was one of the best ones I’d ever seen. It has obviously been very well maintained whilst in use then stored well when not required. I just stripped it, cleaned it all up, fitted new gaskets and painted it rusty cylinder. I ran it my test “tank” (i.e. rubbish bin) and it sat round for a year or two whilst I tried to sort out the correct mag. This happened when I came across two more motors, a standard shaft 102 and an OP Marston motor also in a standard shaft.

The old OP Marston was badly seized but I took the engines away and the seller kindly sold me a spare early type mag. I got the OP engine sorted out but it was scruffy and needed cosmetic restoration. Nether of the motors really suited me with the standard shaft so I put the spare, correct mag onto the SD and sold the OP and the remains of the other engine. The OP was pretty and rare but was quite corroded and no better or worse than a 102 or SD to me, anyway. There were some nice touches on it, the carb especially was really lovely but I wouldn’t rob bits off an original engine. Away it went, one of you lot probably have it! I really like my SD, its in very good condition.

So that really sums up my Seagull experiences, many happy trips and hours of fiddling about. They are beautiful and well-built engines that I am enormously affectionate of. I still always look at what is for sale, and love to get something old or rare, you may have seen the LS I bought recently in Lymington. That is nice too. So my collection is at three….not including the Honda! I don’t know what to do with the motors really, but do use the little 40 minus. The SD and LS can age gracefully and receive my attention and admiration!
Attachments
1954 LS "Super 40 plus"
1954 LS "Super 40 plus"
Oyster 49

Re: My life of Seagulling

Post by Oyster 49 »

Top post Billy 8) 8)
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Yes Billy

A Cracking post with so much to imagine.

Well Done Sir!

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Trolling through old posts I came across this... I was in Jakarta in 1979 through the 80 and part of the 90"s and knew your father well. In fact many of the people that he associated with in the Jakarta Offshore Sailing club (JOSC) I had a cat boat called Ema, later named Corremandal, we moored our boats at the police dock in Tanjong Priok. Can't believe I stumbled across this. and the real irony is that the 40 plus ended up with Dick Batastala along with the Avon on a boat called L'Aquila. Jo Metka and I bought L'Aquila off Dick in 1982 and inherited both dingy and Seagull. The 40 plus I have today is I am sure the same one as you describe. I have carted it around the world with me and it now resides in Tasmania. My memory for names is getting dodge and am struggling to recall your fathers name but surly it was Garry Night and his wife Nina..??

Adrian Dale ex L'Aquila
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Very Cool Adrian!

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
BillyKnight

Post by BillyKnight »

Adrian,
yes! It is Garry and Nina. Great to hear that response. Dick was Nina's father and I remember many good sailing trips aboard L'Aquila. Our boat was Mamiri and I think that it still in the club there in Jakarta. What happened to L'Aquila? He and Nina live in Russell up in NZs Bay of Islands now, they had a nice 40ft Alden Ketch but sold it about five years ago. I can give you his email if you'd like to get in touch, I'm sure he'd like that!
Your motor must have been Dicks one, a 40 with a brass tank and no clutch. Ours had the clutch and a steel tank and ended up in New Zealand, where it got stolen, recovered, then Dad dropped it into the drink and someone else salvaged it (from memory). I guess its still going over there somewhere.
Thanks for the responses people. My seagulls stand at three still, 1943 SD looking as good as ever! I have painted the tank black since the pic but haven't run any of them for ages...
Couple of pics of Sard there too, following last years re-decking!!
Nice to hear from you.
Billy.
Attachments
IMAG0157.jpg
IMAG0164.jpg
IMAG0309.jpg
IMAG0308.jpg
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Incredible yes please seed a PM I would love to get in touch with Garry again. so you sailed on L'Aquila It has brought back so many memories tonight as we reminisce over dinner!!!!.

Adrian
BillyKnight

Post by BillyKnight »

OK, will do. I did sail on L'Aquila!! Somewhere I have a picture of her under sail 1981-ish. See if I can find it.
Pm on way.
Billy.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

BILLY
It would seem you and i have something in common!
A real passion for the 102 in all its guises.

Just like you, i love 'em to bits
including an SD and SDP i have 10 and counting. (hopeless this seagull thing)
My "flock" numbers 18 at the moment but always looking for that certain motor to fill a gap.

jon
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

BILLY
I've just had another look at the pics of your SD.
NICE
I noticed yours has the gearbox nipples on the "wrong"side"?
(dont panick, mine is EXACTLY THE SAME.) it must be something to do with early production of these motors!
Is yours an early number? (mine is SD288)

Mine has a slightly different style of tank (painted black) and a steel tiller (which is correct for these motors and will also be painted black)

i'd be interested to hear a bit more about this. :D

jon
BillyKnight

Post by BillyKnight »

Thanks Jon,
yes i do love the 102s, many happy miles pushed along by these lovely motors!
The SD is nice, I do have the steel tiller but put the brass one on as I had it kicking about and it just looks so nice. I did notice that the grease/oil nipple things are on the opposite side to other gearboxes I have had..not sure of the engine number but am pretty sure its sd 1963 L3. Its in good order, no slop anywhere in the crank bearings etc etc and the gearbox bevels are mint :P
I should check that number some time but my motors are hung up high and a bit hard to get to..
Billy.