More way off topic, America's Cup.

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Charles uk

More way off topic, America's Cup.

Post by Charles uk »

What are you Kiwi's messing about for?

I know your sponser's want the maxium TV time, just finish it please, this is fraying my nerves.

When Team New Zealand run down the Waikato next year, I will ram them, if you don't finish the septics off very soon, honest.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Collector Inspector

Re: More way off topic, America's Cup.

Post by Collector Inspector »

Western Australia has zero coverage.
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

You tube, amazing turn of speed.
Rex NZ

Post by Rex NZ »

Americas Cup is absolutely huge here in NZ. Massive TV coverage in NZ. Plus daily live TV coverage every morning from San Francisco. Apparently half the country has been turning up late to work every day for the last week or so.

I've think figured out why Oracle has shown a sudden turn of speed, it's actually a cunning plan.

Consider this;
Oracle was built locally in NZ
&
Oracle team leader is Kiwi Russell Coutts
&
half of Oracles crew are actually drafted Kiwi's
&
back when the score was 8:1 Larry flew out a specially drafted crack team of naval architects & boatbuilders from Warkworth NZ to speed Oracle up, which gave them 5 in a row
so
Americas Cup has kinda become NZ's Cup, whichever team wins. LOL. Oracle could still win yet. We just need a Kiwi skipper on Oracle to complete the story. Jimmy Spit is actually an Ozzy. Maybe we should invite Jimmy Spit to adopt NZ citizenship. I hear there's only 1x real Yank crewing on Oracle

Govt here should declare a national holiday or similar. Maybe cancel minor holidays like Christmas & replace it with Americas Cup Day. LOL. Replace the national flag with 'The Old Mug' image. Last win there were ticker tape parades, & the govt were dishing out knighthoods, for what that's worth

R
Last edited by Rex NZ on Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chris

Post by chris »

How many americans are actually crewing in this race, shouldn't the boats be crewed by people who actually are born in the country that the boat is supposed to represent including the designer and the builders, looks like only the kiwis seem to be genuine
Williegunn

Post by Williegunn »

Could someone tell the American commentators that the pronunciation is “boys” not booays ! Also they were deducted the two points for rule infringements i.e. cheating rather than for no apparent reason.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Say no more :wink:

H-A
chris

Post by chris »

so who one, was it the boat crewed by the kiwis or the boat crewed by the kiwis
Williegunn

Post by Williegunn »

chris wrote:so who one, was it the boat crewed by the kiwis or the boat crewed by the kiwis
It was the mercenary crew that won it the ones already caught cheating!
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

It was kiwis that made their boat go as good as it did, dam traitors hope they live to regret it. Kiwis still won as they are the biggest part of team Oracle. I hope the rest of the world now wake up and see that this cup is stuck in the hands of one man who will do anything including blatant cheating to hold on to it. So why race it let him keep it I am so proud to be a kiwi and proud of effort Team NZ put in to the cup with their limited resources. Kiwis were never going to win once Oracle computerised the foiling and balancing of their boat. Kiwi boat was still man powered. maybe over time it will all sort its self out.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I doubt very much that the Kiwi's that joined the Oracle effort will mention any details of this on their CV's, if they want to work in NZ again.

They might get a better reaction from the NZ general public having PEADO tatooed on their forehead.

Do they have witness protection out there?
Rex NZ

Post by Rex NZ »

My understanding is the crack team of naval architects were 'Core Builders Composites' of Warkworth. They were the original builders of Oracle. Interestingly they kept the original appendages on Oracle & focussed on tuning in the automated continuous trimming system. Photo from inside their workshop

The rules say you are not allowed to store power for later delivery. However, you are allowed to store power for control systems. The NZ Emirates team believed the Oracle automated foil trim system & the moving wings on the rudder, to be illegal. Both contained power delivery storage systems. The adjudicator ruled the moving wings on the rudder illegal, but (strangely) not the automated foil trim system. The NZ Emirates decided neither were legal & built their boat without any power storage system.

Perhaps the overall race didn't quite end as hoped
however
I think the overall event has produced a great result for little NZ. It has been a great promo for the excellence in our boat-building industry.
Last edited by Rex NZ on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PatLNR

Post by PatLNR »

The secret of the winners......One Seagull in each hull!
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Perhaps , in a most friendly way, find out whats nibbling at your keel and fix it.
Team NZ finally got sunk by a very smart efficient Yank team.
Full of Aussies , Brit gold medalists and even team Boeing.
Seems we bit off more than we could chew.
But at least we were there.
Makes one realise what old Lipton moaned about had some validity.
Anyway sincere congrats to team Oracle.
The weather is warming up here, all my gulls are up and running and I've even got an old 12ft alli job overhauled and rearing to go and get my new reduced snapper limit of 7 daily fish.
Minimum 30 cm, a beautiful size for a magnificent eating fish.
No foils, counterfoils or jibes or gybes or tacking of any mode.
Straight into the stormed tossed sea a pure 4 1/2 hp of seagull brilliance and be dammed to those who want to argue or who have the nerve to cross my path even if they are on a starboard tack.
Dean Barker is the only kiwi I know who has gentlemanly qualities.
Cheers.