silver centry running problems

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

gadget

silver centry running problems

Post by gadget »

Hi everyone. haveing a few probs getting my gull to run properly . shes a wspcl 1165ff6. had to strip her down due to cracked water channel on block. this was welded and then put back togeter with some new gaskets and sealer. points and plug set at 20 thou as per manual. unable to start. changed points and plug to 25 thou tryed to start. changed points to 20 thou and plug to 25 thou runs better but still no power or acceleration. carb the twin one ( chainber separate from the rest ) new plug and ht lead+ cap fitted points cleaned and cleaned . any ideas would be appreciated. thanks gadget :lol:
regards gadget
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Have you got a spark?

If you're unsure about that then take the plug out, tape it to the motor so it's earthed, with the HT lead attached. Then spin the motor over, watching the plug.
erik0905

Re: silver centry running problems

Post by erik0905 »

gadget wrote:Hi everyone. haveing a few probs getting my gull to run properly . shes a wspcl 1165ff6. had to strip her down due to cracked water channel on block. this was welded and then put back togeter with some new gaskets and sealer. points and plug set at 20 thou as per manual. unable to start. changed points and plug to 25 thou tryed to start. changed points to 20 thou and plug to 25 thou runs better but still no power or acceleration. carb the twin one ( chainber separate from the rest ) new plug and ht lead+ cap fitted points cleaned and cleaned . any ideas would be appreciated. thanks gadget :lol:
Hi gadget . I can see that many items here are about sparks, if I had tried what you have, I would start worrying, if the welding has made another crack somewhere.
( I hope not ). Or the sealer has blocked something.

regards
think ahead of doing
http://www.baadside.dk/
Erik
gadget

Post by gadget »

Hi charlesp i have a spark . with a new ht cable and spark plug . these were changed when it would not start at all. now starts but unable to keep going and turning the trottle up seem to make no diffrance . thanks gadget
regards gadget
erik0905

spark

Post by erik0905 »

Hi It seames that BS has an ignition problem, I recall charles had some too. the advice is chance cable and plug, why the plug ? it is a very simple construction, a piece of metal with a certain resistence, going through an isolation to deliver the spark to ground. It should be able to work for years, so on what ground is that supposed?, has anyone tryet to find out, what could be wrong with the old one, or is it just an experience.

In the early 70's I imported some British Anzani, if started they run well, once you stopped them, you would never get them started again, unless you adjusted the platins a bit, then they started again, osv. osv. We never found out, what the problem was, neither could the manufactorer, who eventually took them back. Strange ?
Allthough it was many years ago, i am still puzzled about it, any suggestions ?
regards
think ahead of doing
http://www.baadside.dk/
Erik
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Back to basics.

If you have compression, that;s good, and I assume you have.

If the spark is good is it happening at the right time? Check that the ignition base plate is in the right place and the locating screw is biting on the hollow indent on the crankcase lug.

If that's good, and the compression is good then it must be a fuel problem. Is the fuel flow clear? Check the filter in the tank, and the one on the banjo fitting. Clean where necessary.

Did you clean the carb? Did you remove the jets? If you didn are they in the right place? ( I mean did you inadvertently swap them over?)

Are you confident about the crankcase sealing?

Have a think and come back...
gadget

Post by gadget »

hi charlesp have checked the things you mentioned. it seem to get a brighter spark with a d16 plug than a a6 dont know why. the spark when connected with plug to earth and spun by hand seems to get weaker after a few seconds and misses a spark as well. any ideas how to check electrics. thanks gadget
regards gadget