Great Period Photo of Seagull

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

fortyplus

Great Period Photo of Seagull

Post by fortyplus »

I recently bought a used Sportyak to use on my mountain property that has a small lake. While trying to find a picture of the centre seat I came across this photo of one sporting a Seagull motor, something I recall seeing back in the day. I thought some of you would enjoy seeing it. I don't think I'll be getting a motor bracket for mine any time soon, but you never know :)

I'm afraid this year I went to the dark side with an 83 Evinrude 9.9 on my inflatable, the extra speed once on the plane was quite a revelation in the time taken to get from one spot to another compared to the Seagull 90 and the 7.5 hp I'd tried previously that wouldn't get us planing either at 6500 feet of altitude. While the Evinrude was pretty much flawless and was an interesting glimpse into the challenges Seagull faced at the end of their era, with the Chrysler 7.5 and to a lesser extent with the Evinrude, whenever starting was involved I was always wondering if it was going to fire right up. As I said to my wife, who has quite a fondness for the 90, if I had to get to a distant destination and positively had to guarantee being there come hell or highwater, I'd still take the Seagull 90. It always fires right up and never misses a beat giving you any reason to think it will let you down. The 90 is still my favorite motor for an auxiliary on my bigger boat, no frills reliability and with the built in fuel tank it's always ready to go, should we need assistance getting back to shore. The old style trigger type throttle on the Seagulls is vastly superior to the twist grip style in just about every situation too IMO.
Attachments
sportyak seagull.jpg
1975 Forty Plus L/S 30 hrs from new
1976 Forty Plus L/S 1 Gal. Long Range tank
1983 Silver Century 90 EFNR 32 hrs from new
fortyplus

Re: Great Period Photo of Seagull

Post by fortyplus »

I always wondered why those exposed Flywheels were so popular and now I know why they are referred to as "exposed" Flywheels :) This was the main picture for a listing for a Seagull Handbook on Ebay, although once I overcame the distraction and looked at the motor in detail I could see it's not quite an "authentic" Seagull.

Of course the picture is pure fantasy because for the skirt to become entangled the motor would have to be running and we all know "Women can't start outboards" despite the flailing pull cord in her hand :)
Attachments
Seagull.JPG
1975 Forty Plus L/S 30 hrs from new
1976 Forty Plus L/S 1 Gal. Long Range tank
1983 Silver Century 90 EFNR 32 hrs from new