Nuts! I Purchased a Truck!

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Collector Inspector

Nuts! I Purchased a Truck!

Post by Collector Inspector »

Yep this kind of got me.

Could not refuse the deal.

So now I am a Moggy Owner in that at a BBQ Xmas just now I got this Old Dear.

1950 Morris Commercial

Just needs Lacing and rubbers. Everything else including finish paint panel is included for me. The thing has history mechanical all done and dusted previous many owners. Mechanically perfect? Even suspension and steering all done.

Drives like as it should do at this age. No complaints at all as really a nice Old Thing.

More to come when I find somewhere to actually garage it and take pics.

Good Christmas and a birthday................

20141218_154949.jpg
All I did was pick up a B.S.A. Stationary Engine this morning........then........BBQ with Mates ....and....Went off from then purchasing a truck.

Go figure that then.

Rock on 2015 aye!

I think Blue Font for 2015 posts what do you think?
B[/color]
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Shearwater

Re: Nuts! I Purchased a Truck!

Post by Shearwater »

Woooaaah! What a beauty!
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Looks great Bruce, very jealous.

We will have to call you "Green Grass" from now on. :wink:

H-A
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

what a great vehicle to cruise about in! Bruce Jeremiah Greengrass :D
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

A Period transporter for you seagull collection, very well done.
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

What a beauty. Has it a starting handle?
Collector Inspector

"green Grass" yep :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Maynard

All started picking this up in the morning.

20141218_100251.jpg

20141218_100258.jpg
20141218_100312.jpg
I thought a period mobile (Tho Slow) display. Hmmm I am thinking that all being healthy it should be happy on the highway 45-50Mph?

I am watching old episodes of above, Miss Marple,Heartbeat and Pirot just to sort what the hinges were like on the drop sides. We have a good option to fabricate but while looks period may not be correct. All of the dropside boards are ready to go back on.

Just had a thorty in that it would have been a Body Builder that actually provided a useful drop on for the factory chassis. Interesting..........anything like today aye? Whatever went on to a chassis done and dusted back then as now aye?

The fancy scroll work is being taken off all painted surfaces. There is an arial and a radio..........removed and holes patched before I finalize.

The front of the engine sump is black from a clean up of coach black a while ago. It will be brought back to the original green that the engine is.

It is 12 volt alternator with the dc 6volt regulator/controller bypassed. The windscreen wiper motor is still 6 volt and bypassed. 12 volt bulbs fitted etc.

All 6 volt recon dyna-mow :lol: regulator and starter motor included in the boxes of bits so if I want to go back to "LUCAS Prince of Darkness" I can.

It has a complete set of original tools. Yes Hugo........the crank handle is also the wheel nut tool on the other end. The jack is NOT worksafe at all by the way.

There is no hole for the starter thru the bumper. The original owner kept full registration until 2008. The licencing department did not like the proper chrome bumper as being a "Hazard to pedestrians"?........solid one was fitted to have "Soft Edges" for Petes sake. Original is included and can be used with Club Registration.

Set of rubbers for windscreen front rear, door opening seals, belt lacings and bailey channels required at my leisure. Clutch plate and some basic sound deadening in the cab as well as getting the exhaust outlet further back under the tray.

I find the seating rather sparta but it is as it was. Tough nuts back then I think.

I like having a wood floor by the way............

AND

A FOOT STARTER 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

That FOOT Starter is the sale clincher :P

Any info links appreciated along the way.

Long term truck relationship has started...................without neglecting my outboard flock in any way of course.

B [/color]

PS: Where the bloody hell am I going to park it?
croweater

Post by croweater »

Greengrass I don’t think so he drove a LC5 I think yours looks like a LC3 the headlights look a little lower
than I remember are they in the original position, the LC3 didn’t have a hole in the bumper just a tag the
same as fitted it has the wrong bumper looks ok. They are geared low hills aren’t a problem the one I’ve
been in 30mph nice, 35mph good, 40mph OK, 45mph Shhh….t, 50mph I’d be wishing for my helmet and leathers
as we must have driven off a CLIFF!
Nice Truck have a soft spot for the Morris and BSA’s.

John
Collector Inspector

Thanks for the info John

"30mph nice, 35mph good, 40mph OK, 45mph Shhh….t, 50mph I’d be wishing for my helmet and leathers as we must have driven off a CLIFF! "

:lol:

I will just have to take a packed lunch and water bottle and enjoy the scenery then.

I assume that max RPM would be under/or 4000 rule of thumb looking at what the engine seems to be. I think it would have a 6 or something to 1 diff? I do not know as I have not seen the books or manual yet. I wonder if 3rd gear is 1:1 with 4th a slight advantage after........

50MPH was just a wish really. The minimum speed on our freeway is 50Mph. I think that the thing would be a traffic hazard so maybe not. (Unless peak hours between 0730 - 1200 and 1400 - 1800 where average speed self regulates sometimes down to 20Mph..........Bless Perth Planners aye)

Yes headlights appear lower see reference site http://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p208399523

As I said no access to paperwork history but if the bumper had to be changed then the headlights may have to have been at the correct height as well for full registration? Sort of makes sense if the testing place was being hard yards. Yes sometimes WA can get a bit frustrating Department of Transport employees.

From archives makes interest reading..................check out the prices?

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/57269363

I appreciate all input.

B
croweater

Post by croweater »

The photo is a mates truck sign writing is original he’s the second owner cruising speed is about the same as my Morris 8
and BSA 600 outfit never had a problem with modern traffic they usually pass with a wave. The BSA has been all over SA
toured Tassie (we rode it onto the boat) and the East Coast, the Morris has seen Alice Springs and toured Vic. the
Commercial in the photo has towed a caravan and carried my outfit to country rallies.

Thanks for the advert link
John
Collector Inspector

Thanks John

Yes it will probably get anywhere that I want but you are correct with your reflections re how fast they can go.

Another Advert showing what for me is speed range that will get me a ticket or dead on WA country roads. Slow moving obstruction slash hazard for others.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/61078655

Country roads are 110Kmh and most of them are not that flash and congested with modern road freight as we have no rail system left (Tier 3). For real use at the rated cruise I would not get out of Perth to even attempt a run to Northam for example.

I would have to use highways (90Kmh) freeways (100Kmh) and single lane state highways at 110Kmh. I would be booked.

80 Kmh cruise would have been totally OK.............

I will have to pass sadly. I am not buying a trailer to transport it and display to a venue as pointless.

Not very happy as I was pumped and keen.

WA road usage rules are vastly different. WA road usage by the driving throng is vastly different. The 1 Billion budget deficit will make everything a lot worse and vastly different.

I will take more pics and post them of course.

B
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Ahh well at least the solves your parking problems.
Collector Inspector

Hugo...........I had just found secure park for it free of charge...................500m up my street.

B
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

I remember you telling me I'm gonna need a bigger shed. Guess who needs a bigger shed now ????? :D

Congratulations on the purchase mate, your new toy is cool az.
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
phil

Post by phil »

I suppose there is not a replacement gear for the rear end, to bring the highway speed up to an acceptable level, I imagine you would have mentioned that or a possible 2 speed rear axle? Any truck overdrive units that that could be cut into the drive line.
It did sound as though the driving got kind of wild around 50 mph though, I suppose a combination of suspension, steering and motor revving high may have been enough to sink a project to get the motor revs more suited to higher highway speeds.