getting at the impeller

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

colin slow

getting at the impeller

Post by colin slow »

Can anyone tell me how I can get the two screws holding the gearbox on to an old forty plus? They look like they've been there since it left the factory forty years ago. I an reluctant to apply too much force for fear of shearing the bolts.
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Hello Colin,

start of with lots of penetrating oil, for maybe a week! Then arm yourself with a small gas blowlamp and an impact screw driver!

Heat up the Screw for five minutes, loads of smoke from the WD 40 of course, don't try squirting more on when the lamp is lit, it will make a flame thrower!

Turn off torch, use more WD 40, then try to undo with impact driver. Normally works!

Replace with grease on the threads and maybe new Allen screws! ( Well painted)!

Regards,
John
SOS
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

Hello Colin - just to add my bit - heat the area where you anticipate the screwthread to be as well as the upper part of the screw - the temperature of the surrounding ally has to be well above anything you would care to touch.
You might have difficulty in wielding an impact driver on the screw between the drive leg and the exhaust - I use a screwdriver where the tip is a good snug fit in the screw slot (which has been thoroughly cleaned out) and occupies the full length of the slot, and use a small pair of stilsons on the screwdriver shank -hence I have an old, dedicated screwdriver for this purpose. Very satisfying when the screw creaks and starts to undo!
Have the motor rigidly fixed in a vice, workmate or similar so you don't have to wrestle with it as well as the screw, taking care not to mark the parts being gripped. Rick