What would you expect to pay?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

robhc1000

What would you expect to pay?

Post by robhc1000 »

As per title - what would you expect to pay for a late Forty Featherweight with wipac? There are a couple locally to me in Bournemouth described as good condition fully working for between £100 & £125.

I was hoping to find one that needed cleaning up for low cost :lol:
Keith.P

Re: What would you expect to pay?

Post by Keith.P »

They seem to be asking a lot higher price for the basic late wipac seagull than normal at the moment, but it seems pretty normal for this time of year, I don't know if they ever sell for that.
The last one I picked up, was an EF I think, as I don't normally go for the later wipac motors, it was £30 and I think that wasn't far off its price.
I still have SJP's about that I have no use for, I couldn't sell them for that price, but they are worth more for parts, its daft.
Don't ask.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

It's always going to be a difficult question to answer Rob.
It all boils down to how much someone reckons something in particular is worth to them!

It's true, £100-£125 seems quite a lot to pay for a modern featherweight these days. They are however quite a popular little motor for a small tender, so it's little wonder that they command a slightly higher price than their larger brothers and sisters.

I'm just a tight git and don't really want to pay anything like what the advertised price is?
£50-£100 i think is a good price for a tidy looking motor in full working order, but more importantly it HAS TO BE complete for that money.

I might be able to help you out with a late model F that has everything you're looking for...

pm me if you're interested

jon
robhc1000

Post by robhc1000 »

Keith.P wrote:They seem to be asking a lot higher price for the basic late wipac seagull than normal at the moment, but it seems pretty normal for this time of year, I don't know if they ever sell for that.
The last one I picked up, was an EF I think, as I don't normally go for the later wipac motors, it was £30 and I think that wasn't far off its price.
I still have SJP's about that I have no use for, I couldn't sell them for that price, but they are worth more for parts, its daft.
Don't ask.
There was a battered one on gumtree recently - not complete and they were asking £80!
robhc1000

Post by robhc1000 »

I might be able to help you out with a late model F that has everything you're looking for...

pm me if you're interested

jon[/quote]

Pm sent.
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

Great motors and probably worth it if in very good condition with low hours, the featherweight is the motor I regularly use the most. It's probably still one of the most used Seagulls.
Attachments
image.jpg
robhc1000

Post by robhc1000 »

JERSEYMAN wrote:Great motors and probably worth it if in very good condition with low hours, the featherweight is the motor I regularly use the most. It's probably still one of the most used Seagulls.
Very nice looking boat there, 12ft? The baby Seagull pushes that size ok?
geofflena

Post by geofflena »

Just sold a 40 plus wipac 72 I think - rebuilt but not as new, ie painted leg - but generally taken apart and inspected - cleaned block, new head gasket, new ht lead and plug etc - good running order - £90 no problem.
The problem is - there are very few modern outboards about for that money - as in suz Yam etc 2 - 3 hp. A new one is nearly £500 !
So its a cheap small motor.

Geoff
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

She's just my tender, 8" it's mainly my kids play thing, it was a little project we did together as I only paid £5 for her at a local auction. Tried a 40+ but no quicker and more under the water, the 40- is ace for this job and no one wants to steal it.
You are right, for £100 what other reliable outboard would you buy?