AD16381

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusAnzani

Re: AD16381

Post by AusAnzani »

Wow, lots of interesting stuff posted in the last couple of days.

First up a group shot to indicate where I'm at in terms of progress, then a bunch of pics to satisfy requests from page 1 and to provide detail for Jon. in other words, another long winded post :|

Date code on flywheel appears to be right for this outboard.

Carb, flywheel and rope pulley prettied up just a tad.

Barrel appears to be in great condition. Water passages are clear, just a little more rust to remove from the exhaust tube area before moving to paint and a light hone before final assembly.

Thought I'd run the buff over the crank case quickly. Not sure yet if I like the look yet. Might dull it down and take it back closer to original.

Transom bracket, drive and exhaust tubes are a mess to put it mildly. Some mods and incorrect hardware on the transom bracket as you'll note from the pics below. Will need to apply heat to free up some parts. Drive tube rusty. bubbling and flaking chrome on both the drive and exhaust tubes.

Looking to pick up another 3 tonight including AD46680L complete but not accurate eg converted to clutched etc, W884M0 complete but disassembled and TC84670 missing barrel, drive and exhaust tube. Owner says he'll throw in some other Seagull parts. Not a bad deal at $150 for the lot. I figure I will need a flock to make up a few good ones as the BS collection grows, hence the motivation.

Regards,
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

My D cylinder is the same as the one on the right with the lower stub.
Showing off your new old stock again Charles?
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Well spotted K.

I told you I have drawers full of NOS like that, you know what an idiot I am, if it's made of unobtanium I want it, I might need one, one day!

Cylinders, cranks, pistons, rods, crankcases, carbs & ignitions for almost everything that's not run of the mill.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I Just buy Ebay Junk, 381528402341 but like you, you never know when something maybe useful in the future, plus two spares are better than one. :P
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Spiro
Interesting after all that has come to light in the last couple of days wouldn't you say?
Is it force of habit or is it just me, and not wishing to go over old ground here, but carbs. Bowl to the left? And what gives with what remains of the fuel pipe? I have an old carb in exactly the same configuration too, but from a much older 102 (AC1106L)
I'm sure everyone is well aware by now, a lot of these 102's are not quite as we would expect them to be. I'm still going round in circles at this end with all this. One day maybe we might get to the bottom of it.
You're right with the hardware on the thrust block though! SCREWS? Everything else on the thrust block looks ok (for now at least)
Looks good so far though. Keep going. :P

Chas.
There we go then, not everybody knows about certain differences with late model 102's (me included)
I am desperately trying to get as much as possible with all this, but it's very slow going a lot of the time. Please bear with me.
Once again i apologise for any confusion this may have caused. You did say i might be opening a can of worms with this.
YOU AINT KIDDING.

Jon
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Something else i've just spotted.
The tilt stay! (looks homemade to me) Difficult to tell from the pics

Jon
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Tilt stays always seem to go missing from downunder.... shark attack?
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Looking to pick up another 3 tonight including AD46680L complete but not accurate eg converted to clutched etc, W884M0 complete but disassembled and TC84670 missing barrel, drive and exhaust tube. Owner says he'll throw in some other Seagull parts. Not a bad deal at $150 for the lot. I figure I will need a flock to make up a few good ones as the BS collection grows, hence the motivation. ,[/quote]

Weekly that flick of gulls proved to be well and truly flocked lol

Price drop to $100 and I still couldnt see the value even in parts.

I'm sure they will be snapped up by someone though.

Regards
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Shame about the Gulls.
Your barrel looks to be in excellent condition. It must have been reasonably well flushed out after use.
I have a Seagull manual that states that the carby bowl must go to the left, or Barrel end of the motor. I will try to find it, and post it .
Cheers
notav8

Post by notav8 »

From my Seagull Service Manual,
Seagull - Amal two jet Carburettor Part No. S102/46N
"If you remove the Float Chamber for cleaning etc, it MUST be re-assembled with the chamber on the side of the carburettor FARTHEST from the petrol tank ( nearest to the boat ) and it must be bolted up, pressed against the inlet cowl in order to provide the correct fuel levels etc. THIS IS VITALLY IMPORTANT."
Cheers
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

!
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

You missed the most "VITALLY IMPORTANT" bit of info from your Seagull service manual, date of the Seagull it was for/with, Having & reading this document makes "you" a collectors item!
Last edited by Charles uk on Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Wooops !! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I didn't realise I was a Collectors Item LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
My Seagull Manual Amal page is dated Jan 1978.
Cheers
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

notav8 wrote:My Seagull Manual Amal page is dated Jan 1978.
Cheers
Good info Notav8. In addition, many of the early adverts show the bowl to the same (front) side, however and every AD I've seen here (in person) and many on the net (pictures) have the bowl set closer to the fuel tank. Not saying that's they way it should be, just sharing an observation.

It would be interesting to see what manuals from the early 50's say about it.

Regards,
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Spring 1946

http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/no ... ng%202.jpg
british seagull the yachtsman spring 1946 re side mounting 2.jpg
There you go a "C" with bowl facing forward. Have to say the fuel line is quite ugly compared to its predecessor and creates risk of snagging. I can understand when replacing fuel line it would be tempting to have a shorter one