Driveshafts...

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusOB_Collector

Driveshafts...

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Hi All

As mentioned in my thread regarding my AD, when I purchased it, the only thing missing was the driveshaft. :roll:

I was wandering if anyone could provide a length and inside measurements square for a standard length AD 102 driveshaft?
Even just the length would be greatly beneficial.

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
AusAnzani

Re: Driveshafts...

Post by AusAnzani »

This is not an essential part Boyd. Just place the outboard in fast flowing water and the prop will turn regardless :lol:
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

This is off a 102 TD (I think)
102 drive shaft.JPG
102 drive shaft 1.JPG
Can someone advise if this is the same configuration as an AD?

And which part comes off next? I always thought the square shaft goes through the rotor but appears to reduce to a circular rod. KEH???
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

AusOB_Collector wrote:I was wandering if anyone could provide a length and inside measurements square for a standard length AD 102 driveshaft?
Wouldn't the internal be the same measurement as the square drive at the bottom of your crankshaft?
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

As it's already apart, I'll take some photos of the drives and input shafts of my AD102 and post them up over the weekend.
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Hugz

yes the internal measurements will be the same either end; don't know why I didn't think of that. :shock: :roll:
Would you be so kind as to measuring the length of the driveshaft so I can cut one to size please?

Thanks and Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

When cut to length there will be some grinding inside.

Modern availability of square section tube in AU will require that.

Easy.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Length of the square section is 18 7/16"

I note the square head waterpump and bevel drive are somewhat different to the 102's.

Still would like to see some pics of box disassembled.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The drive shaft was cyanide hardened at both ends to prevent twisting & locking in place happening.

We haven't be able to source any square section tube of a suitable size here in the UK, let us know if you find any.

Though British Seagull or John might be able to lay their hands on a longer one that you could cut to size, if the ends of the one you find have been hardened, you'll have to cut with an angle grinder as a hacksaw will really struggle.

Your quite lucky in having your pump impeller on the pinion shaft as it means you can use 2 x 3 inch sections of drive shaft welded to a suitable length of round bar, quite a few like that over here, just make sure it's perfectly straight!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

"Your quite lucky in having your pump impeller on the pinion shaft as it means you can use 2 x 3 inch sections of drive shaft welded to a suitable length of round bar, quite a few like that over here, just make sure it's perfectly straight!"

That as well BP.

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Shearwater

Post by Shearwater »

Charles uk wrote:The drive shaft was cyanide hardened at both ends to prevent twisting & locking in place happening.
Though British Seagull or John might be able to lay their hands on a longer one that you could cut to size, if the ends of the one you find have been hardened, you'll have to cut with an angle grinder as a hacksaw will really struggle.
Are all Seagull drive shafts hardened at both ends?
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

It doesn't seem like all the early ones were, but after circa 1970 all the 102 cc models seem to have been, but don't take this as a researched fact, I only know about the ones I've tried shorten.

To be sure try the end with a hacksaw, if it's a job to scratch it, it's been hardened!

It seems this was part of Seagull's continual improvement program, when a problem occurs, fix it, the first step in this with the drive shafts, was why they increased the drive shaft wall thickness in the late 40's.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.