Evinrude DD Inboard - 1922

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusAnzani

Evinrude DD Inboard - 1922

Post by AusAnzani »

I posted some pics of this one in another obscure thread some time ago. Since then however, I have decided that it’s worthy of it’s own thread so here goes.

So what is it? It is a 1922 Evinrude DD, 2 Cylinder Gas Inboard, Serial Number DD 666070, Rated 4.5hp at 1,500rpm. These things are fairly rare in the US, so when the opportunity to buy one here is Aus presented itself, I could hardly say no.

Evinrude produced the DD from 1916 through to 1927. The earliest versions comprised individual cylinders, the more recent with an N Block as pictured here. They were supplied with or without reversing gearbox, the gearbox version known as the DDR.

Evinrude also produced a variation of the DD for Fire Pump applications known as the DDV. The DDV continued to sold in to the 1930’s. Many of those were sold exclusively through WAJAX and had the WAJAX name embossed on the exhaust manifold ie in place of Evinrude.

There is information on the internet to suggest all Inboards were original finished in a light grey, whilst the fire pumps were finished in red. Serial number and water pump are way to identify the inboard and fire pump versions.

Pics as sent to me prior to purchase. It had been restored more than 30 years prior and literally sat almost untouched (and uncompleted) since.

And this one on collection to give an indication of physical size.

As the color was not correct, there was no choice but to strip and start over.

And with the cold and damp weather in Melbourne, I could literally watch as the oxide layer (rust) formed on the castings. On go the heat lamps and a couple coats of primer.

New welsh plugs were fairly easy to locate and fit, so did that before the final coat of primer was applied.

Now all painted up and awaiting assembly.

Not quite sure exactly why, but the crank was remade by the previous owner.

Four gaskets and a simple/temporary stand to make tomorrow before assembly can proceed. Then the hunt will be on for some of the missing components.

More later.

Regards,
S

www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
notav8

Re: Evinrude DD Inboard - 1922

Post by notav8 »

Looking Good S,
I wonder how easy it will be to find the missing pieces.?
Import from the USA ?
Cheers
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Another fantastic job S

I hope you manage to find the missing parts!

WOW :P

Jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

S that crankshaft doesn't look very hard, have you checked it?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Hi Charles,

I caught your message after assembling the engine :cry:

The crank was made by a mechanical engineer supposedly using the right materials, hence I didn't even consider the need to check hardness. How does one do that anyway? I can still check if I know what I'm looking for.

The engineer did overlook on thing however. On the original crank there would have been a reduction in shaft diameter immediately following the aft bearing to accommodate the water pump. To get around that now, I will need to bore out the water pump and fit a replacement bronze sleeve. To do that however, I have to find a friend with a lathe!

Regards,
S
Last edited by AusAnzani on Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Hi Jon & Mark,

The only parts that will be difficult to find is an magneto. Failing that, I will consider buzz coil.

As for the grease cups (3) and primer cups (2), those can be bought locally.

Regards,
S
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Yours seems to have worn a step on the prop end main bearing journal, ask a local old boy engineer/foreman what he thinks.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Thanks Charles, now I see what you mean.

The shaft diameter remains constant from the aft crank lobe to the shaft end. That line is just dried grease/dirt and is at the outer edge external to the aft bearing and that which appears to be wear is just the shaft not yet properly cleaned.

Thanks & Regards,
S
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

All fun and games with this one!

As we do, I took the time to measure the thickness of the original gaskets before proceeding to make the new ones. The measurement taken from the originals was 0.147mm, hence I figured 0.2mm would be about right ie allowing for compression etc.

Made the gaskets, dropped the crank complete with rods and pistons in to position and assembled the lower crank case. Proceeded to tighten the bolts and found that the crank would not turn. Too tight around the center bearing. Tried installing the fore and aft bearings and they would not fit. Confirmation gaskets were just too thin.

Strip down again, remake all gaskets using 0.4mm this time. Much better result, if anything still a little on the tight side.

Removed the remains of what was once nickel plate from the flywheel and water pump assembly and fitted those. Two new problems identified. On the aft side, the crank shaft diameter (aft of the aft bearing) should have been reduced to allow for fitment of the water pump cam and stern gear. On the fore side, it appears as though the crank shaft has not been made long enough, hence fitting the flywheel magneto (if I ever find one) will be difficult.

Lesson learned! Be extra careful when purchasing an incomplete resto!

Still need 2 primer cups, 2 grease cups, spark plugs (Champion 0 COM) and a few other bits and bobs to complete. Also need to make a proper stand. Here are the latest pics.

Regards,
S
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

A little more progress on this one. Sourced an expandable reamer and used that to bore out the water pump drive cam. Nice tolerance achieved albeit not essential as the cam rotate with the shaft, hence no potential for binding or wear.

Have a busy couple of weeks ahead of me now, so doubt there will be any more progress on this one for a while.

Also purchased my first 40 series (SJP1039B5) over the weekend just gone, so will be back in to Seagull restorations again soon.

Regards,
Spiro
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

For some reason I have an affection for SJP. I think of it as the peoples gull. Lightweight, affordable and functionable 8)
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

PS: I knew these little inboards were few and far between when I bought this one, but didn't really understand or appreciate how few of them were made.

A week or so ago, I stumbled across a pdf on the internet that contained an index of serial numbers against year of manufacture copied below for anyone here that may be interested.

This reveals a total of 3222 only were built from 1916 through 1927 when production ended. This is a fraction of the number of outboards Evinrude made over the same period.

Regards,
S