TC 102 exhaust tube

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Charles uk

Re: TC 102 exhaust tube

Post by Charles uk »

There could be a purpose to the "rattle fit", it might be to prevent a salt water wet area staying with you over the winter to avoid more electrolytic corrosion problems, brass/aluminium.

Seagull tested a lot before they made a decision.

If it's not broken, does it really need fixing?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

More like the the minimum length you could get away without it falling off. :lol:
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

My look on things is this.

Your motor has seen action before. Your motor has been owned by somebody else in the past. The previous owner might not have known how to look after a mechanical "thing" like an outboard. (not everybody can be bothered to flush their motor in freshwater after each time out on the water)
Fast forward to today and what you see is the result of fair wear and tear over many years. I like my exhaust joints a little tighter than "rattle fit".
But each to their own of course.

Jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Not sure I agree Jon, if the previous owner bought it new in the 60's or 70's he paid circa 3 weeks wages at the national average, around £1500 in today's money, quite an investment, so the chances are, he valued it & looked after it, it came with an owner's handbook so he had all the care information.

Very few vehicles don't get serviced at the correct intervals in the first 3/4 of their lives, it's only "old bangers" that no one cares about, a situation that doesn't really help "shed find" classic Seagulls!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Even though Seagull did the R&D on new motors, problems are known to have surfaced after some longer periods of use.
This may have not been so much of a problem for Seagull, as the motor would be well past its warranty by this time, but if you are selling outboards, the last thing you would want is a bad reputation, this did happen.
Saying all that, the Seagulls we play with today are now fifty plus years old, we have seen right turds, but all in all most have survived and run as good as new, sadly that was seagulls downfall, sticking to what works.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Not sure i agree with your hypothesis of cars and servicing Chas. You should come and have a look at some of the newer "junk" that's less than 3 years old passing through our workshop.Vehicles have improved many times over in the last 20 odd years, the cost of maintaining such a vehicle has gone up quite considerably, and a lot of people cannot justify spending vast sums of money on a "thing" that is constantly depreciating in value whether it still has a warranty or not, even on new cars.These days things are becoming much more "throw away" than they were years ago.

True, back in the day when your seagull was new you might have looked after it better, but the point i was trying to make is that 40-50 years on your gull might have passed through several pairs of hands with dubious maintenance in the mean time. What most of us end up seeing is the result of hard usage and sometimes miss-treatment followed with less than satisfactory repair on occasion. Once in a blue moon there's the odd little gem that comes out of hiding somewhere that on face value is head and shoulders above a lot of the more usual ho-hum gulls we see.
Good and bad in a lot of it, not just one thing in particular.

Jon