CPCL

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

cobbadog

CPCL

Post by cobbadog »

Hi guys, it's been a while since logging on here but now I'm back in business and getting our CPCL ready for a Seagull National being held at Port Macquarie NSW Australia. In doing some maintenance I looked at my engine number and then read in an old manual I have on how to identify the age of the engine. In the manual it claims that a=January, b=February and so on. So how does M3 - November but I understand the 1963 bit. For my engine to be November the letter L should be used for November. What have I misunderstood?

Also I have only run this engine in a large bin of water and with the large 11" diameter propeller and when you engage the dog clutch it certainly pushes a lot of water and the water exiting from the top of the engine as a tell tale sign certainly has a full and constant flow. When I first bought the engine I did remove the head and thoroughly cleaned the water jackets so it should pump water as good as it does.
Just for the very short runs in the tub I have used 25:1 fuel mix but I now realise that I should be using 10:1, is this right?
If so I read somewhere in my old manual that a kit was available to convert it to run on 25:1 mix. Is this advised or not?
We live in Coopernook NSW the Hub of the Universe, well ours anyway!
notav8

Re: CPCL

Post by notav8 »

Hi Cobbadog,
I don't know enough to tell you accurately about the date codes, but as for the fuel mix, I would suggest that you stick with the 10 to 1 ratio, as the extra oil seems to be needed for the old Seagulls.
I have found that they start and run better with more oil. With todays modern oils, there is little , if any smoke.
Cheers
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Good to see you on here Cobba, didn't know you were a member!

Suggest you enter the serial number of your CPCL in to the engine identifier located here; http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/i_ ... eagull.php You will be rewarded with detail specific to your outboard.

From what I can see without your full serial number however, CPC's generally require a 10:1 mix.

PS: Good luck with the service and make sure you take a bunch of photos at the nationals to post here aye.

Regards,
Spiro
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
cobbadog

Post by cobbadog »

G'day Spiro,
Yes I have done that and it comes back as a November 1963 which is what I have been advised in the past. All the numbers are as follows;
CPCL 173 M3. Having done that and read the way that the dating is done for my engine to be November 1963 the date letter "M" is wrong for November. If A=January, B=February and so on then November should have "L" as the code "M" should be December.

Yeah happy enough to leave it run on 10:1 but thought it was a fairly oily mix but a lot of comments claim it to be good with no fouling of plugs.

Signed up on this Forum some years ago now but run out of time to log in too often.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Mate, confusing yes, but if you look here; http://www.britishseagullparts.com/identification.htm you'll see that the letters "I' and 'L' are excluded.

M is definitely for November and the 10:1 fuel oil mix is definitely correct for all CP and CPC models.

Regards,
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
cobbadog

Post by cobbadog »

Thanks for the extra detail about not including "I" & "L" now it makes sense. I reassembled all of the bottom end as I had 1st removed it at the water pump level so I could inspect and clean if necessary but all was good there. So next the gearbox was stripped and cleaned. The old oil has been used on the fence line to control the weeds and being the real SAE 140 it will last a while. So I cleaned all the parts and housings on the inside and the small bronze bushes were in great shape so I reassembled that bottom end but I did use a small amount of a copper based anti-seize. Also cleaned up all the threads with the 1/4" BSF tap and die so the screws go back in easily. There was a very small amount of distortion between the bottom of the tube and the water pump housing. I gently gave it a light bump with a nylon soft hammer and it came back into line but I did put the thinnest amount of silicon sealant on both sides of the bakerlite looking gasket to ensure a good seal. I did this years ago when I first got the engine and after doing all of the cleaning out of water jackets after the head was off and water tube from pump to engine I had great pressure exiting the head as the 'tell tale' sign of water flow. Tomorrow after doing my BAS it will be time to fill the gearbox with the Penrite SAE 140 oil I will then give it a good long run in the wheelie bin and under load. As for the tolerance between thrust washer and housing I guess so long as the propeller can disengage easily and re engage it must be alright.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Thanks for reminder re BAS. I almost forgot!!
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Hugz wrote:Thanks for reminder re BAS. I almost forgot!!

Gee THANKS!

Bloody BAS.........can I have a holiday now?

BnS
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Can you translate BAS into English.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

What is BAS?
haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

Basic Annual Service?
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

It is short for Bastet the Egyptian Lioness Warrior Goddess. Much preparation and stipends need to be paid to appease her from us loyal lessor beings. All hail BAS.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Precisely. Many seagulls of value sacrificed and laid before her holy Goddess. All hail BAS.
haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

Like I said,Basic Annual Service..........on your bank account.or a reduction in the thickness of your mattress :lol: