More Evinrude RBM's

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusAnzani

More Evinrude RBM's

Post by AusAnzani »

A couple more added to the collection Sunday just gone.

These were advertised on ebay ....... but not for long :lol:

The one on the stand is a 1914 Model B, near complete. Has a few broken bits (exhaust manifold and ignition timer) that I'll need to get on to an aluminium welder about and a few small parts missing. This is one of the first with flywheel magneto and has the 'interim brass flywheel and magneto' fitted. Both were changed again later in 1914 to those that became the norm through to about 1922 or so. Coil is shot, so I'll need to decide whether to have it rewound or run off a buzz coil / battery ignition set up.

The other is a 1913 and is missing pretty much everything from the upper crank case half and up. The crank is damaged and the flywheel is home-made. The rope sheave is also not standard as these were introduced in 1915 or 16.

Both motors turn over nicely and no strange noises. Gearboxes feel good also, albeit that the adjuster on the one on the stand has been loosened right off and doesn't look period correct.

I am hoping that together with the one I purchased last year and some bits from the US, I'll be able to assemble two good outboards and have parts available for future use.

Regards,
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Keith.P

Re: More Evinrude RBM's

Post by Keith.P »

You seem to like the older motor, I don't know about the Evinrude tank decal, it looks a little off.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Cool S!

I spoke to you today RE.............................better than ya said so well done aye.

BnC

PS: If anyone would like to take on an Old, Well Used, Bitchy, bilge rat munching....... but past use by date Ships' Cat..................let me know aye?

I thought that looking after an aged P was taxing...............NAHHH...........think again B.

Then again...................just joking or I chickened out on the offer.

SHE KNOWS :!:
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

What's wrong with the decals Keith :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, they look pretty good from a distance B. On closer inspection however, I now see that more parts and work will be needed to ge them up to scratch. All part of the fun as we say!

Regards,
S
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

WOW :shock:

Plenty to get stuck into there S

Look forward to seeing the finished article/s

Jon
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Very cool! that is the sort of thing I would like to just find!
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Good on you S.
You must have just about cornered the market for Row Boat Motors, in your area. LOL
Now the fun starts.
Cheers
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Three Evinrude RBM's collected over the last 12 months and yet there's not enough in them to make 1 good one.

Will need to source more bits from the US than originally anticipated, which is much harder now that Doug Penn has retired. The hope is that I'll eventually be able to make two, both Model B's, one with external buzz coil/battery ignition, the other with a magneto flywheel. I'd love to be able to put together a nice Model A eventually (reversing gear-foot model), but don't need to worry about that just yet.

Over the coming weekend, hope to identify exactly what parts are needed and post one or two wanted to buy messages on the AOMCI boards.

Will provide updates as and when there's something worth sharing.

Regards,
S
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Just a quick update.

I decided the aim here is to disassemble, thoroughly clean, inspect and rectify as required, reassemble, test run and then disassemble again ahead of full and final resto. Here's where we're at after a couple of 6-7 hour days mucking about.

Top half still requires some work. Timing lever needs to be alu welded and have a section that houses the kill switch completely remade. Flywheel is not very pretty, lots of dings etc and is missing both the key and starter knob. Muffler is off one of my other RBMs and is not 100%, so I'll need to obtain another before I can call this RBM complete.

Stripping down the lower exposed parts that have not exposed to the elements. This gives some clues as to the original finish.

Removed most of the deeper scratched and dings in the gearbox housing.

Continued to clean up other brass and bronze components ahead of moving on to the transom bracket which by all rights should have been attended to first. Have made a start on the prop and in doing so have noticed that it's going to need a truck load of work. Included in the pic simply to show what 100 plus years of tarnish looks like after all the other grunge has been removed.

Regards,
S