EFPC Starts OK but Won't Stop

Post your wanted adds here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

skipper20

EFPC Starts OK but Won't Stop

Post by skipper20 »

Picked up a nice 40 Plus with clutch and recoil start today. Engine # is EFPC 398AA0. Starts fine, runs smooth and idles down nicely but won't stop. Is there a stop button hidden somewhere or does the throttle cable just need adjusting? There is a large screw head in the middle of the throttle lever assembly but turning it in either direction made no difference. To shut it off, I had to choke it until the carb flooded. Please don't tell me this is SOP. What am I doing wrong? TIA,

Bill in Seattle
seagull101

Re: EFPC Starts OK but Won't Stop

Post by seagull101 »

Probably just needs an adjustment.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

The large screw head you adjusted is just for tension, it holds the cable and stops it moving, you need to adjust the cable length, the adjuster is at the top of the carburettor, screw it down to slacken it off.
supersaint61

Post by supersaint61 »

the adjuster needs to be screwed down into the carb to allow the carb piston to drop lower
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

And then the motor will stop when throttle lever is closed and incidently, when correctly adjusted, by lifting the tiller up it will rev up a tad.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

It always tickles me when some one has a problem with not stopping a Gull.

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Janzip

Post by Janzip »

Hi everyone,
isn`t it wondeful that someone has a Seagull that won`t stop? And that as a problem? I sure wish that I had his motor. My Seagull starts, runs for thirty minutes, then stops. I`d like to have it running, eternally!
Janzip
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Hi everyone,
isn`t it wondeful that someone has a Seagull that won`t stop? And that as a problem? I sure wish that I had his motor. My Seagull starts, runs for thirty minutes, then stops. I`d like to have it running, eternally!
Janzip
Is it getting hot? Do you have a good flow of water?

Start a new thread and we can talk about it.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Janzip

Post by Janzip »

Hello Nudge,
I´ve discussed this problem earlier, here:
"Silver Century 75 stopping during run" on the "help" forum. Please try to find it. I´ll bet on a fuel problem because I have tried, as recommended, the ignition with a spark tester, and it gives a good spark until the last piston movement. Must have something to do with the float valve not letting enough petrol through or the main jet is too small. I have now another carb, from a modern moped, fits o.k. and the engine runs o.k. in a barrel and I have a series of jets for this dell'Orto. But, as winter has come, the sea has frozen and the testing barrel has been emptied, so no possibilities for a test run until spring comes.
Until then,
janzip
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

[quote]from a modern moped, fits o.k[/quote

One of many problems starts right there.

Simple old Gulls need simple Old Carbs........at least?

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I agree.
I would refit the original carb to your seagull at least to try and eliminate certain other things before you decide the carb is the culprit here.
Start with the basics and clean everything from the tank right through to the carb. Strip the carb right down and pay careful attention to where the fuel comes into the carb and any filters along the way.
Most of the classic seagulls will have a very simple carb. They're fairly easy to strip apart and clean but often the cause of much grief if left dirty inside.

Jon