Seagull 40+ for sale

Place your for sale information here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

RB darned

Seagull 40+ for sale

Post by RB darned »

SJP2164C7, so March 1967. Complete even including original instruction book and pull cord!
Last run through with fresh water and laid up inside about 30 years ago - just never got round to disposing of it, but now need the space.
No reason not to be put back into use, or could be used for spares.
Offers please?
Attachments
IMG-4171.JPG
IMG-4174.JPG
RB darned

Re: Seagull 40+ for sale

Post by RB darned »

I should add the outboard is located near Petersfield, Hants.
brinegar87

Post by brinegar87 »

Hey, how about £350? I will cover the shipping. How much do you think it would cost to ship it to Bristol? I have shipped to Swindon before and it wasn't very costly but don't know how much it would cost from Hampshire. I am on my property in Spain right now but gonna come back in a month.
RB darned

Post by RB darned »

Hi brinegar87, I've sent you a private message
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

£350 is more than double what that engine is worth.
RB darned

Post by RB darned »

Thanks for your view, but who knows Oyster 49? In the end anything is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, which is why I invited offers. Would you like to make an offer? The outboard isn't sold yet.
andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew »

With a view to encouraging fair trading on this board and as a public reference for others in the future, I would echo the sentiment that this appears to be a widely available model on other internet auction sites these days at possibly more competitive pricing. As with all old motors, potential buyers should consider condition and intended use.

The storage mount does look interesting, not a type I've noticed before. Was it part of a (custom) crate at some point? Or perhaps a wall mount? Maybe not the latter as appears weight would be born by the carb if mounted vertically?
RB darned

Post by RB darned »

Andrew, thanks for your post. All I want to do is sell my Seagull for which I have invited any offers, not enter into a discussion of what it might fetch elsewhere (I have no idea) let alone trade unfairly. I hoped this forum would be the best way of disposing of it to a good use for whatever price.

So far as I know the wooden mount was made by the original owner and it just provides a horizontal stand and means of keeping the bracket detached from but together with the outboard, so nothing special.
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Have to say I agree with Oyster and should state I am unhappy to see this sort of money spoken about for a very old Seagull

To the buyer, this is a pre 1967 motor with a Villiers ignition.

If one of these was offered for sale in a running condition, pumping water, then I would epect it to sell for £50 to £80.

The Villiers ignitions are no longer safe to rely on at sea or on a river with flow and will need replacing, minimum £50.00

Come on gents if you are using my site please be responsible.
John
SOS
RB darned

Post by RB darned »

John, I am both mortified and mystified if you think I have done anything wrong. I responded privately to the original response because I was doubtful whether it was a genuine offer, but perhaps not surprisingly I have received no further communication privately or otherwise. I have just had everyone else talking about what the outboard might or might not be worth but no offers at any price. I have never named any price to anyone.
If this is acting irresponsibly I am surprised, to say the least.
If you want me to withdraw the outboard from your site then please say so. I have absolutely no wish to cause anyone trouble or embarrassment. Frankly I just want shot of the thing. If nobody wants it I’ll send it to scrap.
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Hello there,

I would have thought anyone who was capable of joining the SOS Forum would have done a simple search on EBay Gumtree or the like and would have a rough idea of the value of one of these. Not many many who have really no idea! I still have the mail telling you what it was worth??

I suspect the offer was a wind up.

If the motor can be seen and heard running and pumping water £50 to £80 a fair asking price. If not running £30 for spares or repair.

Regards,
John
SOS
RB darned

Post by RB darned »

Well if it was a wind up John, they seem to have succeeded! BTW, all I did before joining your forum was a Google search which brought up your site. I thought it probable that any interest was more likely to be generated there than any general site.
I haven’t run the engine since laying it up, so if anyone wants it for spares and is prepared to arrange collection, just let me know. I’m happy if any “price” offered (whether above or below £30) is paid to RNLI.
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Good luck with the Seagull!

Regards,
john
SOS
RB darned

Post by RB darned »

Still no interest here in my old Seagull at any or no price, so it's now going for scrap.
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Sadly unless a Seagull of this age and type is immaculate, and seen running and pumping water at point of sale they will only fetch £30 for spares, if that. So many being scrapped now as it's not cost effective to change the ignition and keep them running unless they are immaculate otherwise.

This is why I offer £20.00 for any going to the skip, if they are close enough to me in Essex to deliver. I use them for spares to keep others going.

Sorry that clown sent you the wind up offer!

Stay safe and have a happy and healthy new year.
Regards,
John
SOS