Lerryn 2022

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

dandrews

Lerryn 2022

Post by dandrews »

Had a great time at the Lerryn Seagull Rally, great organisation and a wonderful spirit, the James Bond theme being embraced by many entrants. The weather gods smiled on us and the overnight gale and driving rain abated just in time for the event.

I entered my 12' portabote in the over 12-foot class with an Osprey fitted with a kingfisher carb and fuel pump. My crewmate and Lerryn resident Pat dressed as Bond, while I attempted an homage to Jill Masterson from Goldfinger (a younger competitor did so too and made a rather better job of it - see ca 40s into the video).

We had a bit of trouble starting, but made up ground with good initial pace and had some good battles for position along the way. Unfortunately we picked up some weed in the water intake and suffered overheating and finished at a rather diminished speed, losing two places in the last 5 minutes. Came about 7th overall out of a field of ca 30 and I think 3rd in the over 12' class (I missed the first part of the results in the pub while getting a Doombar).

No silverware but a jolly good time was had. Lots of learning for next time - the motor is too low on the transom and drowning a bit; I forgot to bring a tiller extension so trim was stern down too; and I need to fit a wire protector over the water inlet to protect against weed. I also need to lose some weight, both from the boat, accessories (I probably did not need to take the anchor and extra fuel!), and from the skipper and crew.

And a video, with Pat urging me on, here:- https://share.icloud.com/photos/0288mMH ... a4FSDQ1t3Q
Charles uk

Re: Lerryn 2022

Post by Charles uk »

Thanks for the film, very enjoyable!

Thought the wig made you look very hot, were you wearing high heels as well?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.