2024 Round the Island race Bermuda

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Nudge

2024 Round the Island race Bermuda

Post by Nudge »

It's that time again to start getting those boats and engines out of the weeds and start testing them!!!
Bermuda 2024.png
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Paskoya

Re: 2024 Round the Island race Bermuda

Post by Paskoya »

2024 RISR results email as follows from Martine, for those not on the email list:

For once the day dawned with light winds and no rain forecast!!! Thank you Seagull gods for finally giving us decent weather.

Albeit first thing in the morning – South Shore outside of the reef looked pretty calm – but inside the reef line was choppy... So – it definitely wasn’t smooth sailing, especially as the winds kept shifting and a few gusts here and there.

A combined total of 52 boats registered by rain date – with 5 of those having to cancel due to the change of the date. So 47 for the actual date.

40 Boats checked in with me at the Boat Club – but only 37 boats set off – due to engines not starting or working well enough to enter the race.

We had 7 DNF’s – so a total of 30 boats finished.

In addition to these boats racing – Darren Souza decided to race the clock to go for the record in class G1 – Sports Racing. He set off at 8.17am in #20 Bronze boat with LJ Simmons. The record to beat is 2 hours 7 minutes – 2011 “Game Over”. Sadly his engine blew up (his words) at Snorkel Park..... so close..... but yet so far. So – a boat was sent to rescue him. He promptly moored the boat and went home to get a spare motor so that LJ could do his own race at 12.30pm. Unfortunately the new engine didn’t work properly – so the racing entry was one of the DNS recorded.

Just before 2pm there was an exciting race for line honours – we could see a green boat and a white one – fighting for the lead – swopping over – at the end – it took the crew in the white boat to lie flat towards the front, getting the prow to slip through the water and pipped the green boat at the line. Congratulations Ozzie/Brian in Ruby – Mark Jordan had to take 2nd in that!!!

Another close fight was between Family Jules and Spencer Wood’s boat.... 2 Huckleberries. They were fighting each other since rounding the point from Dockyard. Family Jules managed to beat them.

Stephen Roberts and his son Jake managed to break the old record for Class E2. Well done!!! Despite the fact he wanted to put his feet up after his golfing trip away.... The boat name - Knot Gullfin - is rather appropriate in the circumstance!!

What was such a pleasure to see were the number of new and younger crews signing up. Welcome – we look forward to seeing you at future races. I hope that you follow seagullian tradition by giving your boats wonderful paint jobs and giving them fun names.

Notably these were – Kolby & Kamryn Martins, Jack Dallas & Will Ashton, Dylan Rance & Jacob King, Jacob Hines & Marcus Rodriguez, Julie Clements & Jenny Bodenstab, Talia Colombi & Andi Donahue, Kenny Thomson & Willem & Alex Cooper, Steve G & Rene Lamar. Apologies if I have missed anyone of the list – not intentional!!!

Inadvertently the Anfossi Marine Sports trophy was incorrectly given out – the correct winner is Trump Train – Jacob Hocking. We will ensure it ends up in the right hands but wanted you all to know.

A lot of photos were taken – we are trying to work out the best way to share this – and we will revert.

Thanks as always to everyone who help make the race successful – Heineken who sponsor the race, Rubis who sponsor the crashboats, the crash boat volunteers who do this every year and Jonny White who is the C-boat captain coordinating them all, Wilks Catering for the food, Sara Lewter for the music and microphone etc – and lastly to all of you and the committee and the other people who help out..... The race would not be held without your enthusiasm for this sport. And we loved Shawn Burgess's boat horns tool for starting and finishing - especially the remote control!!!

I have some shirts/Rubis vouchers for some of the crash boats who did not come to the post race presentation. I will contact you directly.

Hopefully Owen DeCosta has found the friend who collected his shirts from the sign up meeting. Let me know directly if there are issues.

The following left before collecting their prizes – Corry took them – Chris Kulmala, Jared Souza and Stephen Roberts. You can arrange to collect them from him

I have extra shirts for sale – RISR ones – only XL left plus 1 small. Heineken – 1 small, 7 med and the rest XL.

I have calculated our profit – and we should be able to donate $4,500 or thereabouts – depending on how much extra we get for additional shirt sales.

This will go to the Sloop Foundation – but we want to ensure that they will be offering sailing courses for the 2024/2025 program year before we send the funds. If they do not – we will donate to the youth program run by Bermuda Aquarium & Zoo.

Forgive me if I have missed anything or thanking someone - it is not intentional!!!

Contact me if there needs to be any changes in anything

Save the date - June 14 and 21 2025.
Paskoya

Post by Paskoya »

Photos from the day can be seen at www.facebook.com/BermudaRISR - you shouldn't need an account
E1A - Traditional wooden dinghies
E1A - Traditional wooden dinghies
E1B - Fiberglass dinghies
E1B - Fiberglass dinghies
E1B(H) - Huckleberries
E1B(H) - Huckleberries
E1B/(H)
E1B/(H)
G1 - Sports racing
G1 - Sports racing
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Nice pics!

I hear Steve Roberts got a record, give him my regards & tell him to be careful as he's getting too old for these pastimes.

Lots of us old timers don't do Facebook, so post more pics so we know what were missing .

Thanks Charles
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.