Irregular running of silver century mk2

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

hicksie

Irregular running of silver century mk2

Post by hicksie »

Hi
I've acquired a Silver Century mk 2. The engine would not run at first - I have no idea how long it has been left standing. Got the thing working (points) did not open. I have set the points to 200mm and the engine starts and runs for a bit and then dies. I have flushed the tank and fuel line and Carb. Anyone got any ideas?
Andy
RickUK

Irregular running

Post by RickUK »

Hi Andy - think your points gap is a bit wide! Should be twenty thou. (0,020") or 0.5mm, but if you have a spark, it must be somewhere near.

With the motor dying, the problem is fuel delivery. Check the fuel system again as fresh fuel and vibration might have disturbed some muck, especially the filter in the banjo bolt which holds the float bowl on to the jet chamber, and the two small brass jets themselves in the jet body. Hold the dismantled carb. body up to a light - you need to see light through both jets. The best way to clean the jets is by removing them, which is very difficult without a jet key - otherwise clean them as best you can by washing with petrol or using an airline. Take care to avoid damaging the large thread that the banjo bolt goes into - these carbs are getting difficult to find. Rick