You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

niander

ARCHIMEDES-PENTA OUTBOARD MOTOR!

Post by niander »

ARCHIMEDES-PENTA OUTBOARD MOTOR

anybody got any photos or info of a twin ?...[not sure exactly what model]
someone local has one and it looksvery old and interesting
horizontal opposed twin[but he wouldnt sell me it]:( .....but believe it or not i just got an short water jacket sd 102 totaly freely turning with compression off him for £2..!!!! ...what a day ! :D
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

Is it definitely an Archimedes Penta? My knowlege of Archimedes is very sketchy, but Archimedes (without the Penta) go way back in outboard history) and orignally made two or three sizes of horizontal twin.
Through various takeovers (Electrolux etc.) the Archimedes name survived and I think got combined with Penta in the late '50's or early '60's, though I don't think there were any horizontal twins by this time.
I had an Archimedes for a time, whcih I recall I dated to around 1940 - I suspected it was around an 8-10HP., and was as much as I could do to lift the thing!
I did have some basic adverts for the Archimedes range - I'll see if I still have them and let you know.
Good result with the SD though eh? You'll have to let us know when it fires up! Rick
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

...could you post the serial letters/numbers from the SD and the JM number from its magneto please?

Photo is always nice of a wartime example, especially the bracket and any stampings on the skeg.

Thanks!
phil

Post by phil »

There are a few photos of old archimedes motors on www.aktersnurren.se Also came up with quite a few hits for archimedes penta on http://forums.iboats.com use the search function. You might try going to www.aomci.org and click on links, it surprising what you can come up with if you have some time. Then of course you could google archimedes penta
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Maybe something like this?

Regards

C.I.
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
niander

Post by niander »

That does look like it from what i remember...any idea the value of one of these? and hp?
i will put some pics just realy busy at the mo
where abouts is the magneto number?
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Magneto number is either on the flywheel rim just under the cover, or may even be stamped on the baseplate, just visible between the spokes.

On an SD it would be in the range JM 2000 to JM 12500 originally. This number only applies to those magnetos with the dished top and a four spoke flywheel. That's what an SD would have had when it was made.

The other Charles and I have been compiling a register oif the survivors.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

The pics are of a "Type B-22". I have two, to make one good and one fair to middling later.

Barrels are weakness! Else very rugged!

I believe it was 20Hp.

I would love some more tune up info if any one can help.

It is bloody heavy, both to lug about and pull start for a small bloke like me..................

The blue one fires up and idles but has one cracked block, hence the other for spare bits.

Regards

C.I.

PS: Do not forget the SD magneto numbers for Charles! He is challenged in that need as we all know. Bless him.
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others