seagulls and pollution - help!

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Sam
seagulls and pollution - help!

Post by Sam »

Hi - I bought a 5hp seagull about a year ago. It's been back to the shop 3 times since then and has caused me no end of trouble, but I still love it and want to keep it - except for one thing.

I mostly sail on Windermere, and the thing leaves an oily trail wherever it goes, running or not. When I start it it drops fuel onto the water, sometimes the float sticks and petrol just pours out (I do have a new inline fuel filter). This is not just embarrassing for me, but makes me look like an enviromental terrorist! And I hate the idea that I'm polluting the lake.

Is it possible to own an old seagull that doesn't leave an oily trail behind it? It has an Amal float chamber, I don't know the model number offhand.

It has a rudimentary clutch

Are these engines fundamentally dirty? I don't mind it spitting small amounts of unburnt fuel out when it's going, but the way it is now is ridiculous.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Seagulls are a little dirty - but the fuel pouring out shouldn't happen. It's possible that dirt particles are preventing the needle valve from closing completely, this will not allow the fuel flow to shut off, and it'll deposit fuel onto the water.

A thorough cleaning and flushing of the carburettor, filters, and tank may well help. If you use petrol to do this you can filter it through a kitchen towel and save the filtered fuel to go back in the tank.

Environmentally the use of an older outboard rather than going out to buy a new one is infinitely better. The energy required - and the carbon deposited in the atmosphere - in the production of a new unit massively outweighs the possible pollutive effects of running an oldie.

It's just that when you run your Seagull the effects are visible; that rainbow on the water is unsightly and jogs your conscience, but the foundries, waste, electrical consumption, chemical pollution, solvent use, heat output, and general consumption of natural resources associated with the manufacture of a new one are out of sight and hidden beneath the plastic cowling of your 'efficient' Honda or Yamaha. Added to this is the very low use of petroleum products (plastics) in a Seagull compared to the newer models. And of course the 40 year design life as opposed to a much shorter span expected of the more recent varieties.

Give the fuel system a thorough flushing, and come back if that doesn't work. Oh and there are various modern 2-stroke oils that'll help with the smoke.

Oil leaking through the gearbox or crankcase bearings can be reduced by fitting new ones - I'm sure John could help here.

It would take a very large number of hours running to balance this equation in favour of ditching your Seagull on environmental grounds.
Sam
Post by Sam »

Thanks. I rang John and he was also very helpful. I appreciate the enviromental benefits of keeping older machinery working, I've rescued a mower and strimmer recently for that very reason - I also run a 27 yr old camper van . . . hence wanting a Seagull.

I've stripped the float chamber and found that the float seems to have lost it's ability to float due to a leak. Hopefully that problem solved!

I'll also drain and refill the gearbox in the next week or so. I'll also look into biodegradable 2stroke oil . . . .

I hope in future to only use the motor when the wind drops and it's too far to row, so shouldn't be too often that I stain the water . . . . .

Also found out that my motor is pre 1945 and is probably a navy one with the original magneto. Wow! I wonder where it went during the war . .
Craig Larson

Seagull and the environment.

Post by Craig Larson »

A tree in your yard puts out more carbon monoxide in a day than your Seagull puts out in a year. Fix the carb. and keep a tight valve on your gas tank and I'm sure you will feel better about your being environmentally correct. Happy sailing-- Craig[/i]
Dr.Lighthouse

Post by Dr.Lighthouse »

charlesp wrote:Environmentally the use of an older outboard rather than going out to buy a new one is infinitely better. The energy required - and the carbon deposited in the atmosphere - in the production of a new unit massively outweighs the possible pollutive effects of running an oldie.
Thank you Charles, for sharing my point of view on this subject, and for explaining it so thoroughly !

If one takes a look at the average lifespan of some 'classics'
(e.g. British Seagull, Land-Rover Series I, II and III, 'real' Volvo's, ... , even the humble Citroën Dolly !)
it isn't surprising that B.S. owners seem to prefer these:
we're just oldfashioned environmentalists !

b.t.w. : I drive a 1983 Mazda 626, thats runs 37 MPG (imp) or 7.5 L/100km. Not bad for a 23 y.o. automatic . . .
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

If you are really worried about it, buy Shell Nautilus oil. It costs more, but it is biodegradable, 3 weeks after you puttered by any oily residue will have biodegraded back to nature!

Sadly there is not a bio oil for the gearbox that I know of!

It is right that there is more polution in the construction of a motor than is ever given off in it's use, the smelting of iron and Ali etc.

So like the Morris Minors and Landrovers, we are doing our bit by keeping them running and not buying a new shiny outboard every 7 years, which is how long the old Japanese/American ones last before turning to dust!

Moggies have just been presented the governments 'Green Apple' award because of this!

Regards
John
SOS