102 flywheel

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

StephenRT

102 flywheel

Post by StephenRT »

I recently acquired a much abused and neglected 102.It is probably only suitable as source of spares as the tiller lug on the lower crankcase has been broken off and I do not have the missing piece.What puzzles me about this engine is that the flywheel is made of brass,it is 3 spoked, and identical to other mark 1 Villiers types apart from this.Can anyone enlighten me?
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Hello Steve,

what is the engine code, on what's left of the crankcase! I have just picked up a WWII bronze Seagull. It has a bronze domed top to the Flywheel, the clutch lever, the exhaust, the engine lug and bracket are also bronze. I believe it to be one of the ones supplied to the Navy....

I wonder if yours has these bronze parts? Mine seems to have an Ali flywheel though, just the top is yellow metal.

Regards,
John
StephenRT

Post by StephenRT »

Hello John,

The engine code is AD which I think makes it 1946/7.The flywheel nut is also brass, chromium plated.The cover plate is alloy and has “The best outboard motor in the worldâ€
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Hi Steve, I spoke to Charles Large yesterday and he says the bronze Flywheels cam off of Lawnmowers! they had to be modified slightly to work well on the Seagulls as the cam was different. Some owners have taken the Seagull cam and centre sections and rivetted the bronze outer to that, trying to get the timing right!

Must say I had never heard of any Seagulls with Bronze ones, so that would explain it. he has seen one in N.Z.

Regards,
John