What do I have?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

shotar

What do I have?

Post by shotar »

As luck would have it, my trusty mercury 6hp was murdered by my wife just prior to our holiday weekend. Alternatives being few and the weekend fast approaching, I spotted the seagull in the corner of my garage where it lay dormant for the past 18 years. I've no idea how long before that it sat as I bought it at a sale and never got around to using it. I cleaned the carb, soaked the cork, and refilled the gearbox.

It started on the first pull of the cord!! :D It also continued running until I figured out that one has to choke them to stop them. I was looking for the non existant kill switch. Even my Land Rover turns off with the key.

At any rate, I love this thing. I was actually shocked that it started and ran so easily. At any rate, I'm not quite sure what it is as the serial number does not quite match the descriptions and photos on this site.

The serial number is CPC 24881. I intend to use it on my 11' inflatable boat. At least until the Merc is repaired. Perhaps though this will make an excellent Lake Erie motor??

Here are a few photos if you can help.

james

Post by james »

i imagine your correct engine number is CPC248B1 rather than CPC24881, making it a 1961 century plus with clutch. mix ups in the stamping of the engine numbers appear to have been common at the time. it should be roughly equivelent to a 4.5hp

there is no kill switch, but a hand over the air intake suffices. i prefer it this way as if you cannot accidently shut off the engine when throttling back
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Yes, 1961, and I believe your engine number is probably correct.

A 'B' in the number with a '1' suffix would signify 1971 as the single letter sequence of dating started in 1963. The serial numbers at that time were consecutive, each motor off the line got the next number in the sequence regardless of type.
shotar

Post by shotar »

Thank you both. I hope this engine is sufficient for my 11' inflatable.
John@sos

I.D. Your Seagull

Post by John@sos »

The code number is suspect. Charles is quite right.

Seagull did not add codes for dates till 1963, the first being the figure 3, for 63 and letter A for Jan etc.

B1 should therefore mean February 1971, but the CPC was not made then.... stopped in 1967. So unless Seagull were making odd batches, and that is likely, the number could be 24881 and then could be dated with the info on the site to 1961 to 1962.

It is a 4 hp approx Century Plus with Clutch, the later one had an Amal Carb and produced nearer 5 hp.

As for mounting on the back of an 11ft dinghy, bit large maybe, the motor not the dinghy. this was designed for heavy clinker dinghies up to 18ft plus! not small inflatables, so you might find it a trifle heavy on the back! If it works go for it!

Regards,
John
SOS