Seagull 102

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Colin

Seagull 102

Post by Colin »

I’m currently considering the purchase of a 1950’s 102 engine; however I’m not very familiar with the model other than what I’ve read on John’s and several other sites.

The engine is for my own boat, a heavy two master, clinker built, double ender, with a waterline length of 17ft.

Previously, before the theft, the boat was powered by a Century Plus. This engine would not reach the boat's hull speed although it came close to it.

My question is: can I expect similar performance from a 102 or is it likely to be very underpowered as an auxiliary on the boat?

Parts availability I am fortunate in having a small machine shop and am able to manufacture most parts not available from a supplier, however are parts such as magneto, points prop, etc. readily available for older Seagulls?

Any help on this would be very appreciated.

Cheers Colin.
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

Hello Colin - take the 102!. They were in fact made until quite late on in Seagulls' history, with detail changes - eg. Villiers ignitions were superceded by Wipac as with all of the Seagull range.

They are a little quieter than Centurys, and have similar power, so should be fine for your boat as an auxillary, though your boat does appear to be a heavy one!
John of this site should be able to supply most things you might need, either new, or maybe second-hand in the case of things like propellors.
Once the thing is running, it is unlikely you will need much, especially if just used for back-up purposes. Rick
Colin

Post by Colin »

Hello Rick.

Thanks for the information. I will go ahead and buy the motor.

I had stated in another message that I would not be able to use it since the shaft length is too short. However, I realized after making the statement it is a simple matter to machine up new drive and exhaust tubes and make a new drive shaft and clutch linkage.
Colin

Northern Star
Vancouver BC.