which seagull

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

burrowboy
which seagull

Post by burrowboy »

Hi I wonder if anyone can help a complete novice. I've just bought my first boat (a skipper 14) at the tender age of 62, thats me not the boat. I have heard about how good seagulls are and I will be looking to buy one in the near future but I don't know which one to get or whether it needs to be short standard or long shaft. I have heard that 2hp would be quite adequate. If anyone can help I would be most grateful.
Keith.P

Re: which seagull

Post by Keith.P »

A 2hp to 4hp would be OK, but this would also depend on were you are using the boat, inland water or at sea.
Its always nice to have some extra power at sea when needed, but not so much inland.
And would also depend on what you intend to use it for, as the boat is a small sailing boat.
I asked a question about one of my outboards, It weights about 10st and was told an 8ft tender would be OK, It was not this site.
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

4hp short shaft. If you get one with a clutch it will make things easier. Direct drives push the boat as soon as you pull the cord , so you do have more things to think about at the same time. However it does give the observers on the shore something a little more interesting to watch
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Go down to where your planning on using your Skipper or to the closest marina to there & start talking to everyone there about Seagulls, I'm sure you will find someone with one who will let you try it out , so you can see if it's suitable, you never know you might end up with it, good luck.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
burrowboy

Post by burrowboy »

Thanks for the info all of you at least that gives me something else to consider.
tractorboy53

Post by tractorboy53 »

sorry to barge in, i have just bought a silver century plus. but i only have a 11foot 6 fibreglass dingy 4 foot 6 beam. now i read it is not sutible for my boat, it will only be used on lake trolling for pike. my boat is middle wieght , i am not familiar with using a clutch but i thought this would be ideal to save stopping and starting. the motor is in such good condition i dont want to part with it. i would like a 14 foot boat but i cant afford to change. any ideas tractor boy.
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

Try it out on your boat and you will find it is OK, you aren't putting a high powered engine on the back of your boat. Just a seagull.
Buzzook

Post by Buzzook »

The Plus motoras were rated by Seagull to push 17-ft laden work boats, so it will have not trouble pushing yours.

Try it and see, like The Tinker says, just remember that you can't let it idle too low - there must always be a stream of water coming from the tell tale!!
gullible, a. The effect on reason of the appearance of anything 'Gull-related on an internet sales site
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

You have choices depends on where you are going to use the boat.

A 40 plus - Smaller seagull rated at around 2hp. These come as direct drive (prop spins as soon as engine starts) or some later engines have a clutch operated by a lever, which engages the prop. Somewhat easier to use.

Century models - Larger and more powerful, better for pushing against wind, waves or tide (or all 3!) Head can be removed for servicing. Century or silver century both good engines. different carb arrangements.

102 models - The original seagull, all in one cast cylinder block, usually a few about, fairly cheap.

Later models - Kingfisher etc. Not made in as high numbers. Nice if you can find a good one, but more expensive.

So a 40 plus will be fine for flat water, I'd go for a century or 102 for tidal waters. Have a look around, many people have seagulls in their sheds that go for a song, and still do a good job. Some good buys on ebay, some total crap too!
bychance

Post by bychance »

Here is a video of a Silver Century (not plus) pushing a 12'6" Fibreglass rowing/sailing/motor dinghy. It works fine with the motor raised about 3 - 4" as the transom is a bit short.
Thanks for the tank Nick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDP8eFWSKgM
tractorboy53

Post by tractorboy53 »

thanks for positive feedback, feel happier now, cant wait to try it out but will be a while as doing a clean up and paint job on dingy. anyway lot of rain here on loch conn at moment very swollen, let you know how it handles later on tractor boy.
electrosys

Post by electrosys »

tractorboy53 wrote:sorry to barge in, i have just bought a silver century plus. but i only have a 11foot 6 fibreglass dingy 4 foot 6 beam. now i read it is not sutible for my boat, it will only be used on lake trolling for pike. my boat is middle wieght , i am not familiar with using a clutch but i thought this would be ideal to save stopping and starting. the motor is in such good condition i dont want to part with it. i would like a 14 foot boat but i cant afford to change. any ideas tractor boy.
With such a small boat, there's a good chance that the bow may point skywards - so for the first time out with a new boat/engine combination, I'd take 2 extra things with you ...

1. A tiller extension - basically anything that will fit inside the tiller tube: a couple of feet of dowel rod or thick garden cane. This will then enable you to get your own bodyweight forward.

2. A big plastic drum (or several small ones) - enough to hold 40-50 lbs of water. These can be filled with lake water (as required) and chucked into the bow to balance the boat's trim.

Sure - it may turn out that neither of these is necessary - but it would be a helluva shame if you were to launch only to find that the bow starts looking for satellites, and you find yourself with lake water lapping in over the transom, and with you sitting there thinking "now what?".

You may wonder how I know about this ... but I ain't tellin'.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Just a word of caution to point 1.

Please make sure that your tiller extension is very firmly retained!

Any one who had one pull out accidently when moving at full throttle will tell you how dangerous this is, the motor can pull itself on to full lock fast enough to throw you onto your back on the floor, whilst the hull is powered around in circles about a hull length in diameter & if the prop is running deep the hull can possibly capsize before you can work out what the **** is happening & find your way back to the throttle.

So tighten up your steering adjuster & fix your extension well.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Charles uk wrote:So tighten up your steering adjuster & fix your extension well.
Does that include a willow stick that was used at the Essex do. :lol:

Happy Christmas, must go and see to the roast potatoes. :roll:

H-A